Overnight stay at Caen Port / Harbour

May 18, 2006
Visit site
We're taking our caravan to France for the first time. We arrive into Caen at about 9pm on a Saturday evening. Does anyone know whether you can overnight in the port?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've posted this before, but here it is again. There is a carpark between the beach and the main road, just to the west of the port. Usually busy with caravans and (mainly) motorhomes, it looked pretty safe to me. Some units were obviously there for a cheap holiday as we saw them still there after several days - so it must be safe enough.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we were coming home last year (catching the 23.30 ish overnight from Caen to Portsmouth) there were at least 6 vans parked up for the night. They were on the main port waiting area just infront of the main security barrier.

Good luck

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
There is a campsite 5 minutes from the port which stays open for the ferry arriving called Les Hautes Coutures, why stay at the port when you can relax at a site with full facilities and leave fresh in the morning, have used it many times. You also pass a petrol station but it will be self service at that time which means you need euro notes. You can find the site if you want a look at www.select-site.com you also pass a municipal site before Hautes Coutures which always looks busy but i have not stayed at this one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi robin i have traveled many times on caen ferry and stay at municipal site about 10 minutes from dock first roundabout signed camping open until aprox 11 o xclock plenty of room some reserved for brittney ferrys about 15 eros with elec hpoe this helps have great holiday

freddie

May 18, 2006
Visit site
hi robin i have traveled many times on caen ferry and stay at municipal site about 10 minutes from dock first roundabout signed camping open until aprox 11 o xclock plenty of room some reserved for brittney ferrys about 15 eros with elec hpoe this helps have great holiday

freddie
Thanks Freddie - do you need to book at the municipal site?

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We always use a little commercial site about 10 minutes away from the Ferry on the other side of the canal and river. Nothing special, but a nice welcome and very clean. Almost all the pitches have both water and drainage hook-up.

It is called Camping les Capucines and it is on the outskirts of the village of Ranville. You cross the canal using Pegasus bridge. If you have a look at the area on the ViaMichelin site, it is on the D37c near its crossroads with the Rue du Stade.

I can't recall the cost but it is certainly not expensive. In recent years we have used it as a staging post returning to the UK, but about a decade ago we certainly arrived at it around midnight off the ferry from Portsmouth and had no problems getting in. They are very used to being a staging post for les Anglais arriving and departing from Ouistreham.

It is also a very comfortable base for a couple of days winding down after a long treck North.

Cheers,

Mike A

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at the Municipal ste just outside the port on July 14th last year (Bastille Day). In spite of it being a French public holiday there was still space at 10 o/c. Downside is that they don't open the gates until 7.00 a.m.

This year (April) we stayed in the car park on the quay side. There were 4 or 5 other vans there and there was no problem. Staying there meant we could get away at 5.30.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi robin name of site near caen

camping municipal des pommiers

rue de la haie breton

14150 ouistreham riva bella

no need to book always plenty of room less than 10 minutes from dock and safe

freddie

May 18, 2006
Visit site
hi robin name of site near caen

camping municipal des pommiers

rue de la haie breton

14150 ouistreham riva bella

no need to book always plenty of room less than 10 minutes from dock and safe

freddie
Thanks for your advice Freddie - we've a few decisions to make!

Best, Robin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts