Overnight stay central France

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Travelling down from Calais to Beziers area (Valras Plage) via Paris then A71-A75. Any suggestions for an overnight stay half way down? Has anyone been to Valras Plage and can recommend a site? We will be taking Camping Cheques and Touring Cheques.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rhonda, a site I can recommend is Club Californie Plage Campground Vias, which is a litle bit along the coast towards Cap d'Agde from Valras. We stayed there a few years ago in peak and it was good.

I stayed at a La Yole Valras 10 or 12 years ago and it was also good.

There is a very good site called Les Clos Aroyat at Orcet which is just south of Clermont Ferrand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rhonda, a site I can recommend is Club Californie Plage Campground Vias, which is a litle bit along the coast towards Cap d'Agde from Valras. We stayed there a few years ago in peak and it was good.

I stayed at a La Yole Valras 10 or 12 years ago and it was also good.

There is a very good site called Les Clos Aroyat at Orcet which is just south of Clermont Ferrand.
www.camping-le-clos-auroy.com/welcome.html

www.campinglayole.com

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Depending on how far you get - we've used Bois de Bardelet at Gien (Camping Cheques), the municipal at Coullons (just south of Gien on the N road), Camping Municipal at Nevers (Camping Cheques), Camping Chatel de'Neuvre at Chatel de'Neuvre, a site at St Pourcain (nice town for an overnight stop), La Grange Fort (Camping Cheques) at Parentignat just south of Clermont Ferrand, and the municipal at Issoire. I can recommend them all for an overnight stop. Some of the pitches at La Grange Fort have lovely views, and there's a take-away and restaurant there. Don't use the take-away at Bois de Bardelet unless you're desperate - we've had two really bad experiences there, but the site itself, and the restaurant, are fine! Camping Municipal at Nevers has lovely views across the river from all pitches, bit pitches, and a friendly 'small-site' feel to it - and there's a supermarket and fuel stop just down the road, easy access from the main road, too - but just a little tight actual entry into the site.

Haven't been to Valras Plage - but we've stayed near Agde at Serignan Plage, (OK but toilet blocks not as clean as they should have been, and a bit of a 'shanty-town' feel (doesn't take Camping Cheques any more), Camping Neptune (nice), Domaine de Champs Blanc (we like it, particularly the restaurant and the pool - but others have commented on the gravel pitches), looked at La Draggoniere but couldn't get a pitch, and at Le Boucanet near Grau du Roi which is further up the coast - but we love it there, directly on to the beach. (All these latter sites are Camping Cheque sites).

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rhonda, we went from cherbourg to camping les mimosas(a very unwelcoming site)in portiragnes plage via paris staying at a lovely site in paris on the banks of the seine called camping caravaning international at maisons laffitte the only help i can offer here is the first day was easy and the second leg started around 7.30am and finished that night at 10.30 and we had to stay in the carpark overnight so i would go as far as possible the first day and set out early the second to allow yourself time to get checked in comfortably ,its a tough 2day drive depending on ferry arrival time if you have a bit of time on your hands and you dont mind spending it traveling make it an easy 3 day spin and dont put yourself under pressure, thats based on my experience and top driving speed of 80kph.

I hope this is of some help luke

G

Depends on when you get the ferry,but as Luke says it can go to 3 days. The only time we made it with 1 overnight was by arriving in Calais at 8am, by virtue of which we had 3 hours sleep the night before. Im sure but Naomi says not that we stayed in Vierzon that night and got to Marseillian Plage the following afternoon (she thinks we stopped at Orleans but we dont keep records) We too stayed at Valras many years ago but there is much to choose from on that stretch of coast, we like St Cyprien a bit further down, also Cap d Agde

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Rhonda.

Look at page 89 2008 Touring Cheque Brochure. "Camping de la Filature".Accept touring cheques. On the A71, we have stayed there a couple of times as overnight stops. easy to get to English owners. Small village with supplies and fuel/garage. Very very quiet. About 10 mins from motorway. Good luck JTS.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Maisons Laffitte is a nice site 'cept for the noise. There is a railway bridge over the Seine at one end that runs all night. River traffic can also be noisy.

As for a part-way site, the municipal at Bourges takes some beating. Good facilities, moderately quiet, and a 10-15min walk from a very interesting and pleasant city centre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts