Overnight Stay

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if anyone can help. We are travelling from Tunnel to Avrille, Vendee again this year and would like some recommendations with regards to an overnight stay. We normally stay at St Claire , Nefchatel-en-bray when we have used the ferry as only 100 miles down, but this year using the tunnel and would prefer to be perhaps 150 miles down. The whole trip is 410 miles from tunnel. At 150 miles we would be past Rouen.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Lisa
smiley-kiss.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at Haliotis site in Pontorson just south of Mont St Micheal. I think it may have changed hands this year, but has good but has good big pitches and excellent facilities. It will not be far off the best route down to the Vendee. The site is in the town - pleasant walk, there is a small Carrefour with fuel a few hundred metres away and it would make a good base for a couple of nights or just a NH. I suspect it may be very popular in the French school holidays.
Last time we stayed there it was about 15 euro/night including EHU and good value.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There's a municipal site at Pont de l'Arche, just south-west of Rouen, and you can get back on the autoroute you want after the campsite - or municipal sites in Sees, or Bernay, which are on your route just a bit further on.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Ray, do you not think that this site is a bit far for an overnighter? Pontorson is over 300 miles from Dunkirk and, although making use of more free motorways, is rather a long way round.
A more direct route down to the Vendee would be Rouen-Le Mans-Nantes in which case the site at Bourg Achard (Le Clos Normand) would probably fit the bill. It's about 180 miles from Dunkirk.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On reflection, probably so, but then I have a heavy size 45 (European) and despite the advanced years (bus pass is long ago) consider 300 miles / day reasonable. Hear all the comments but constantly remember Stirling Moss - ' all the time you spend changing gear is not actually driving the car forward'. Some 'unfortunates' - and I used to be one - have to fit their holiday into a set period and need to get where they are going. For me - 'it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive' - i.e. if you are in transit - then transit; do not stop every hour or so, but get the job done. NOT to say - drive when you do not feel comfortable doing so - far from it.

There is another site just off the main road at Heric between Rennes and Nantes which may fit the bill better - quite OK for a NH but not in the same league as Pontorson.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Pont de L'Arche - Camping Municipal Eure et Seine, Quai Marachal Foch, 27340 Pont-de-l'Arche, tel 00 33 (0)2 35 23 06 71 (Mairie) Fax 00 33 (0)2 32 98 90 89
Sees - Camping Municipal le Clos Normand, Route d'Alencon, Sees 00 33 (0)2 33 28 87 37 (Mairie)
Bernay - Camping Municipal, Route de la Canadiennes, 27300, Bernay 00 33 (0) 2 32 43 30 47 (Mairie)

In answer to your other query, you can also find details of many convenient overnight sites in the Caravan Club Camping Europe book (which is where these details were taken from) - and non-members can buy it on-line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts