Overnight Stays in France en-route

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody help me with advice regarding staying at sites in France en-route to and from our holiday in the summer. We are travelling from Germany to Brittany in August and I want to break the journey up with a couple of overnight stays. Having researched campsites en-route and contacted a few places advertised through ACSI I have been given the answer "Ring us on the day to see if there is a place". This is not that good if you are relying on a place to stay. I don't want to find myself running around trying to find somewhere to park up with the family in tow in the middle of August. Can anybody offer advice? Is it possible to stay somewhere in August or is it really difficult to do? Our route will take us from Aarchen towards Paris towards the Somme, into Normandy and then into Brittany. All advice would be appreciated.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You should have no problem at all finding a pitch. Many towns in France have municipal sites, which are designed for overnight stops - and are used by people coming and going to other destinations. In France it's quite usual for people not to book at all, apart from the two/three peak weeks, on seaside sites in busy areas.

I wouldn't give it another thought. Just equip yourself with a good campsite guide book - such as the Caravan Europe 1, which lists lots of sites used by people journeying through France. If you're looking at the bigger sites, used as 'destinations' rather than stop-overs, then you may find more difficulty finding a pitch - but the smaller en-voyage site should be no problem.

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi James

Having toured in France for many years, I agree entirely with Val. Unless you are in a 'tourist' destination, there is no problem in finding an overnight pitch in France, even in August. I suggest you use either or both of the Caravan Club Europe 1 Guide and the Michelin Camping guide. If you have any doubt about how popular your chosen site might be, then try and stop earlier rather than leaving it until late into the evening.

I don't know what precise route you are planning and where your stops need to be, but if one is near Reims, I can recommend the Municipal at Guignicourt, which is about 20km north of Reims. It is a pleasant welcoming site on the banks of the River Aisne. It is on page 600 of the Michelin guide (2009) and page 399 of the Caravan Club Europe 1 guide (also 2009). Just beware of the speed bumps at the entrance to the site!

Bonne Vacances

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Quote:[Our route will take us from Aarchen towards Paris towards the Somme, into Normandy and then into Brittany. ]Quote

Unless you have good reason to head into Paris, my choice of route would be to go via Rouen, then Normandy into Brittany.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts