Overnight stop near Namur

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone a good recommendation for an overnight stop near to Namur. My route will start at Calais then via Bastogne, through Luxembourg and towards Trier.
Not sure yet which route to take to Namur but two main ones are I am thinking if are:
Calais, Ghent, Brussels, Namur
Calais, Tournai, Mons, Charleroi, Namur.

Any views on either route or alternatives would be useful.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
Has anyone a good recommendation for an overnight stop near to Namur. My route will start at Calais then via Bastogne, through Luxembourg and towards Trier.
Not sure yet which route to take to Namur but two main ones are I am thinking if are:

It would help to know where you intend to end up.
For me Gent (no H in the Eu spelling,) Brusselles, Namur. The Brussels ring is hairy but fun - DO NOT go through the city. If you are going through the Ardennes there is a reasonable site alongside the river in Dinant - or at least there used to be. Personally, as it is all motorway from Calais I would aim to stop over in Luxembourg. Camping Kockelscheuer is a good site with excellent facilities but it is a good idea to book ahead in peak season - they do speak English. Fuel in Luxembourg is hideously cheap.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:

It would help to know where you intend to end up.
For me Gent (no H in the Eu spelling,) Brusselles, Namur. The Brussels ring is hairy but fun - DO NOT go through the city. If you are going through the Ardennes there is a reasonable site alongside the river in Dinant - or at least there used to be. Personally, as it is all motorway from Calais I would aim to stop over in Luxembourg. Camping Kockelscheuer is a good site with excellent facilities but it is a good idea to book ahead in peak season - they do speak English. Fuel in Luxembourg is hideously cheap.

Thanks for the info. In my post I did say that my final destination is Trier (Germany) via Bastogne. I plan to stop near Namur as it fits well with our ferry arrival time in Calais so Luxembourg isn’t convenient. Although I will be picking up fuel there.
Better reprimand the CMHC for my spelling of Ghent as it comes out of their Europe Touring Guide :) But being British I don’t feel that the English language spelling is incorrect. Wiki has a long and boring piece on the spelling of Ghent/Gent or even Gand if you’re French! Guess the EU has a bit more work to do. LOL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts