Overtaking!!

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone else have this problem? After a couple of years of towing it still really fustrates me when i attempt to overtake. It only seems to happen when overtaking single cars, as soon as the nose of my car reaches theirs they begin to accelerate!!

I am aware of the wind resistance factor and i can assure you this is not the cause. It happened three times on the way back from whitby this weekend. Its almost as though people see a caravan and think "he's not getting in front of me!".

I'm really only letting off steam about this but i would like to hear if others experience this.

Dan

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing new in what you have found Daniel, it is the same old chestnut, the other driver suddenly thinks,"Oh My God, I cannot be made to look like a fool and be overtaken by a CARAVAN of all things", it may make me look like what I am.

Apart from being against the HC to increase speed when being overtaken.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Its not just when towing either.

I have had many experiences when intending to overtake a "performance" vehicle (sporty cars etc) that as soon as the driver realises whats happening they speed up.

Worst cases have been on the motorway. "Performance" vehicle travelling at 75mph in lane 2 so I pull into lane 3 to overtake and they speed up !!!

I think drivers like this are probably sitting behind the wheel, thumb up bum and mind in neutral then get shaken back into the world by me trying to overtake them !!!

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Yes I also find that a lot on motorways.

When traffic conditions allow I like to set cruise control at and indicated 80mph (75mph actual) but then see vehicles come past me only to slow down so that I overtake them. After a few miles the same thing happens again with the SAME vehicle.

I have noticed that it is often when there is more than 1 person in the vehicle. Perhaps distracted by chatting and not concentrating on their driving !!

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Yes I also find that a lot on motorways.

When traffic conditions allow I like to set cruise control at and indicated 80mph (75mph actual) but then see vehicles come past me only to slow down so that I overtake them. After a few miles the same thing happens again with the SAME vehicle.

I have noticed that it is often when there is more than 1 person in the vehicle. Perhaps distracted by chatting and not concentrating on their driving !!
Just to add to my last posting that I dont drive at that speed when towing !!

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
I have noticed it more since getting a car with cruise control. On the A34 where I regularly tow the 'van I usually set up at about 60 ish when safe to do so and conditions allow.

On one occasion just north of the M4 we come up behind a car doing say 55mph so as not much traffic about I indicate and pull out. Result? - just as outlined above they speed up. The idiot then slowed right down after I had pulled back in, forcing me to brake.

Both of us in our car could tell he was being stupid as we could see him looking in his mirror when he braked excessively.

So my wife made a big play of getting out her mobile phone taking the idiots number and using the camera facility knowing that he seemed more intent on annoying us and watching us in his mirror than driving sensibly.

All of a sudden he decided to leave us alone and pulled away pretty sharpish. From what we could see he was middle aged. The car was an old Mondeo.

I think one of the best things my Dad ever told me about driving was "Treat every other driver as a total idiot".

But interestingly a friend wondered if this chap was not just being stupid but was maybe trying to cause an accident in the insurance scam that got a lot of publicity a few months ago.

I doubt it personally, but it makes you think.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I have come across this guy many times, his name is Richard Ferbrains.

He also parks at "drive in takeaways" and when finished with his rubbish simply tosses it out of the window and drives off.

Once he threw a drink can out of his window directly in front of me while driving his van at 60 mph on the M25.

I am sure you may have seen him on some more of his fun filled escapades.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts