PADDLE BOARDING

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have been thinking about paddle boarding as a new hobby when away in caravan as we either pick sites near sea or lochs, so ideal.

Any info for a newbie would be great, board size ,make, gear required ,prices ,suppliers etc.

Cheers.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like a great idea, I have no info, except that I know hire centres exist complete with trainers.

If there is one on route it may be a starting point.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have been thinking about paddle boarding as a new hobby when away in caravan as we either pick sites near sea or lochs, so ideal.

Any info for a newbie would be great, board size ,make, gear required ,prices ,suppliers etc.

Cheers.
I hope you enjoy your new hobby you will have to go on a Paddle board beginners course they teach you how to
Standing up on a board
Balance
Falling and getting back on
But i heard it is good fun enjoy

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Have a look at Decathlon's website, plenty on there. You'll need a wetsuit and aqua shoes (aldi have them in next week), life jacket. I would say a 10/12 foot board a good size. Some good inflatable ones about.

Had a go on one last week at Llanberis - great fun, but only got as far as kneeling - my centre of gravity useless. Much prefer my inflatable canoe so the dog can hop aboard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Cheers.
I can remember using a paddle board way back in the sixties, but at sea. Great fun especially when surfing in on the waves.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Having come back from 2 glorious weeks in Cornwall paddle boarding was very well in use.

I go Snorkeling, so I was in the shop in Pentewan buying a new wet suit and talked about inflatable paddleboards, circa £450 to £800.. Out of stock.
Anyway by chance we were at our favourite little beach and a few people had the exact paddle board I was interested in, Jobe.
Fitted in a backpack, incredibly rigid.

I suppose it depends on your intended amount of usage as to what your willing to pay. You can get an electric powered one for circa £2250.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
There is one element you need to become aware of especially at sea, and that is tidal streams. Tides don't just magically go up and down. The water flows ALONG the coast (for example on the south coast the incoming tide flows east, and the outgoing goes west). In many places you can get VERY fast tidal streams, so for example in my area (East Coast), the tidal stream will run at between 1.5-3 knot (1.8-3.6mph) along plain coast with estuary entrances going up to double that. So, if you've paddled relaxedly at at 4mph with the tide in half an hour you will have travelled 3.8 miles. Travelling back will take you NINE HOURS (actually it won't because the tide turns roughly every 6.25 hours) but it does demonstrate how fast things can go wrong.

With our boat which had a max speed of about 7 knots, we always planned to maximise the positive tidal effect otherwise the "running up the down escalator" effect is very tedious. As another example, on a big spring tide (i.e. fast tide) we travelled 17 nautical miles in 1.75 hours so we averaged 9.7kts over the ground, so give or take an average tidal stream of pretty much 3kts

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is one element you need to become aware of especially at sea, and that is tidal streams. Tides don't just magically go up and down. The water flows ALONG the coast (for example on the south coast the incoming tide flows east, and the outgoing goes west). In many places you can get VERY fast tidal streams, so for example in my area (East Coast), the tidal stream will run at between 1.5-3 knot (1.8-3.6mph) along plain coast with estuary entrances going up to double that. So, if you've paddled relaxedly at at 4mph with the tide in half an hour you will have travelled 3.8 miles. Travelling back will take you NINE HOURS (actually it won't because the tide turns roughly every 6.25 hours) but it does demonstrate how fast things can go wrong.

With our boat which had a max speed of about 7 knots, we always planned to maximise the positive tidal effect otherwise the "running up the down escalator" effect is very tedious. As another example, on a big spring tide (i.e. fast tide) we travelled 17 nautical miles in 1.75 hours so we averaged 9.7kts over the ground, so give or take an average tidal stream of pretty much 3kts
Natural sea currents can also carry you a long way. When we went sea fishing we would leave the launch area and the travel up against the current for several miles. It would take less than an hour for us to back opposite the launch area. The boat had 2 x 40hp motors and even then it would take awhile to travel back up the coast.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

60 years ago in Looe Cornwall. Me and my two older brothers went out in a rowing boat. The oldest brother leaning back. While we did the work.

Eldest brother knew his stuff, in the 60‘s he was the youngest in Britain to get a captains cert. He read the channels and knew were to steer. And cruised passed others. Some speed boats (the chug chug ones on hire). He predicted we’re going nowhere fast. And he was right.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Natural sea currents can also carry you a long way. When we went sea fishing we would leave the launch area and the travel up against the current for several miles. It would take less than an hour for us to back opposite the launch area. The boat had 2 x 40hp motors and even then it would take awhile to travel back up the coast.
Did you catch anything

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did you catch anything

Small sample of a catch. We used the sardines for bait. Every year milions of sardines came up gthe coast followed by every predator including whales. Although I never fished for it as id not have the equipment, marlin was very popular to catch
Sardine run3 2010.jpg

Also I used to do a lot of surf fishing, but not very successful unfortunately which is why I prefer deep sea fishing. LOL!
Ian fishing.jpg

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Before i ended up in a wheelchair when i was younger use to fish of the rocks but sea fishing me and my brother use go out at Bridlington and use catch a lot of cod :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As kids we had a corrugated iron canoe that we used to go out to sea towards Robben Island for about 3 - 4 miles off shore near Cape Town. Had to be careful for the big ships as they would not see a tiny canoe. :D Dad's car with canoe.jpg

Actually I am one of the very few people who went onto Robben Island in the seventies. LOL!

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts