pajero fieldmaster

May 11, 2005
Visit site
hi.

i am buying a pajero fieldmaster 2.8td to tow my caravan,this one is a timing chain not belt, has anybody had any experience with this motor,has there been any problems,what should i look out for when towing.

thanks geoff.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
These are brilliant towing vehicles, very reliable, if a little heavy on diesel, especially if it's an auto and you use aircon.

Make sure it has a full service history and only use 2 wheel drive except in an emergency.

h

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I am a shogun owner and they are excelent towcars - ours is a 3.0 V6 lpg powered but the 2.8 td is as good if not better because of the diesel low down torque - the auto trans with o/d and cruise is particularly suitable for towing. If you have not already I would stronly advise joining the POCUK which is one of the best on line clubs around.( just type in Paj owners club in google)

The Paj has a safety recall where the steering box drop arm needs replacing and with an import it is not always possible to know wether this has been done - they also suffer from seal failure in the deisel pumps which can cause low power, smoking and cutting out ( apparently due to c--p Japanese derv) but POCUK have all the info on these probs. They also have a very active Vanning section.

Good choice, happy towing.

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
Hello,

David i am looking to get a LWB Shogun 3.0V6. The one im looking at is not lpg but cant find any specs on them eg mpg and so on. what mpg do you get out of yours? have you found any problems with the model and is there anything in particular i should look for while buying. I was also told that the 3.0 does roughly the same mpg as the 2.8 diesel which i have found to be around 23. Thanks for any advice or comments.

Martin

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
There can be a problem with timing chains stretching on the 2.8 Pajeros and Delicas. This seems to be confined to a number of motors produced in 1994 and results in a chuffing noise starting around 3000rpm. Ignore the warnings at your peril, they do snap and then it's curtains for the engine!

They are great cars, so don't let the problem put you off buying one, if it has the problem just get it fixed before it causes major problems.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hello,

David i am looking to get a LWB Shogun 3.0V6. The one im looking at is not lpg but cant find any specs on them eg mpg and so on. what mpg do you get out of yours? have you found any problems with the model and is there anything in particular i should look for while buying. I was also told that the 3.0 does roughly the same mpg as the 2.8 diesel which i have found to be around 23. Thanks for any advice or comments.

Martin
My 3.0 SWB is now used by my son - we bequeathed it to him because it was too small for people, vanning gear and the dog! We now use a LWB Trooper/bighorn for towing.

Regarding your questions - MPG on petrol was about 21 average with it possible to get 30 on a decent run - towing came down to about 18 but of course the LWB is heavier so you would get a bit less - on LPG the average was 18 with 15 for towing which is not bad with LPG at 39p / litre.

They are excellent vehicles and beautifully built - like everything else go for the best you can afford with full service history and low miles - properly serviced they will last for ever and there are no particular problems I am aware of. "our" Shogun is a 98 with about 80K miles, just passed an Mot with nothing wrong except a dog chewed seat belt - it purrs like a kitten, has had nothing replaced,even the exhaust and shows every sign of keeping that way for another decade. They are as smooth as a limo to drive and ride in and with the exceed or diamond pack have all the extras a person could desire and importantly these keep on working too, unlike on our home grown 4x4's !

Look at the Trooper/Bighorn too - they are a cruder drive but every bit as rugged and in my opinion, after owning both shogun and Trooper, slightly better towcars. (dont' be tempted by a post 98 3.0 Trooper though as they have a seriously flawed engine) Quote from the dealer when we traded our troop SWB in for the LWB we have now have and were concerned about our SWB's mileage of 120k " No worries, these engines are good for at least 250K, this ones not even run in yet"

Good luck in your search.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi

we have a Paj 2.8 td swb '95 M plate(with timing chain), tow a large caravan and have no complaints whatsover, have had it for 5+ years which in our household is a record

have a look at www.pocuk.com good website, great bunch of people, lots of social things going on

good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts