Pajero, Grand Cherokee, Terrano?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm considering changing my '97 Rover 825Si Auto for a 4x4, for both general use and towing. Having originally wanted a Discovery, I've been put off by high prices and some reports of Land Rover unreliability! Can anyone from their own experience tell me anything good or bad about the above selection, or suggest anything else? I'm looking at spending around £6K, would prefer a diesel and am currently swaying in favour of the LWB 2.8 Pajero. I know the CC printed a recent article about Pajeros overheating but have since been convinced that this is rubbish! All comments gratefully received! Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shaun, You should look no further than the Pajero. I tow with my Lwb 2.8 Exceed auto & it's the best tug I've ever used in over 30 years of caravanning. Being automatic, as most of them are, it makes for easier towing, you don't have to worry about changing down for hills etc. although you do have the option of selecting no-overdrive if necessary (useful on long inclines or for overtaking as the auto doesn't keep trying to change up) Lots of extra goodies fitted as standard that you'd have to pay for on the Shogun UK equivilant & a dream to drive. The 2.8 comes with chain drive cam shaft (no belt changes to worry about) Spares & servicing are readily available & Mitsubishi are wise to the fact that with so many now in the country it's a market they can't ignore.If you want any further assurance go to www.pocuk.co.uk (the Pajero owners website) Lots of info on there. Most of all don't be put off by the rubbish written in the CC mag. A very badly researched article & totally wrong. They are sponsored by Mitsubishi UK??!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if you opt for a terrano the 3.0 litre are better than the 2.7 fuel wise as well as towing,if you notice most of the terranos on sale are the 2.7not the 3.0 litre,i think that tells you something.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shaun, with regard to 4 x 4 vehicles may I suggest you look at Kia Sorento 2.5 deisel as used currently by Practical Caravan.

I purchased one in January and have towed twice with it including a Caravan Club rally over Easter on muddy ground and it performed brilliantly, also it will not cost you a packet. Both Practical Caravan and camping club have run reports on this vehicle recently, good luck hope it helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to confuse the matter further I tow a Bailey Ranger 500/5 with a 2.7litre Daihatsu Fourtrack. Great towcar - do not know the caravan is behind the car. Difficult on times to keep to 60mph. Very economical for towing - ave 30+ mpg. Downside - only three doors and utilitarian compared to other 4x4s. Be careful when buying as they are very popular with the farming fraternity as sloggers. Can however recommend them if you find a good one. Should be no problem finding one at your price range on the internet. Whatever you buy good luck and enjoy the outfit.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Got to be a Pajero but make sure it's a 2.8. I've had 2 and the only reason I don't have one now is because I've bought a Delica. These have the same engine/running gear, are heavier and are altogether more fun

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if you opt for a terrano the 3.0 litre are better than the 2.7 fuel wise as well as towing,if you notice most of the terranos on sale are the 2.7not the 3.0 litre,i think that tells you something.
THe reason there are more 2.7's for sale is that the 3.0 ltr only came out on a52 plate (or probably 02). I had a 2.7 '99 model and have just upgraded it to a 53 3.0. Both great tow cars. The 2.7 is your best bet with a budget of

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
We are on our 2nd Pajero and pull a twin axle.Cruises a treat at 70mph but like the owner,it likes a drink.

They never seem to go wrong,so when you calculate the overall running cost it can be economical.e.g someone was bragging about 27mpg on a galaxy but then got stuffed for a new turbo!.

Hope this is of some use!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts