Pajero or Terrano/Maverick

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
I bought a Zafira 1.8 to tow my 2003 Bailey Ranger 470/4 (mtplm 1174), however after using it a couple of times, ive found that it may not be up to the job. Im now looking for a 4x4 such as the Pajero or Terrano / Maverick. Which is the best. My budget is £5000.

Paul Halford

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Go for the Pajero you won't be disappointed and ignore all the rubbish the caravan club has said about them. Just make sure you get a 2.8 and preferably 96 on with an airbag, that way you'll get the more powerful 2.8.

Also check out the Delica, I've not long since swapped my Paj for one and I find it better to use

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

We've had a Terrano 2.7TD 7 seat since new in 1995 and find it great for towing. It'll happily tow a caravan at 60 all day and we've never had a twitch out of it. One of the advantages of the Terrano is it's car like handling qualities. It only has the footprint of a normal estate car as well so is easy to drive around town and park. In fact my wife prefers driving it to our Corsa.

Our first caravan was a Bailey Beachcomber 470/4 as well oddly enough (which the Ranger was based on), and it towed it with ease.

The new 3.0TD versions are more powerful and fuel efficient, but I doubt that you'll find one within your budget.

I did look at Zafiras at one time as well, but realised that they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding so went no further than the brochure stage. In fact at the 85% rule, the Bailey that you have is right on the Zafira's maximum limit. Quite surprising really.

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Go for the Pajero you won't be disappointed and ignore all the rubbish the caravan club has said about them. Just make sure you get a 2.8 and preferably 96 on with an airbag, that way you'll get the more powerful 2.8.

Also check out the Delica, I've not long since swapped my Paj for one and I find it better to use
Thanks very much, however, are the auto gearboxes up to towing a caravan. Ive heard that automatics need a special gearbox cooler.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Thanks very much, however, are the auto gearboxes up to towing a caravan. Ive heard that automatics need a special gearbox cooler.
Paul, the Paj has a gearbox cooler fitted as standard and the only time the light came on for me was when driving over (not going through the tunnel!)St Gotthard pass pulling a twin axle van weighing 1800kg's in the middle of August. I just pulled over and let it tickover for a couple of minutes before carrying on. We've been to Hungry, Slovenia, Croatia, Austria etc numerous times and both Paj's I've had behaved perfectly.

My current Delica is equally up to the job and tows my Lunar Lexon CD with ease

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

We've had a Terrano 2.7TD 7 seat since new in 1995 and find it great for towing. It'll happily tow a caravan at 60 all day and we've never had a twitch out of it. One of the advantages of the Terrano is it's car like handling qualities. It only has the footprint of a normal estate car as well so is easy to drive around town and park. In fact my wife prefers driving it to our Corsa.

Our first caravan was a Bailey Beachcomber 470/4 as well oddly enough (which the Ranger was based on), and it towed it with ease.

The new 3.0TD versions are more powerful and fuel efficient, but I doubt that you'll find one within your budget.

I did look at Zafiras at one time as well, but realised that they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding so went no further than the brochure stage. In fact at the 85% rule, the Bailey that you have is right on the Zafira's maximum limit. Quite surprising really.
Is the Maverick the same as the Terrano, do you know?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts