Parc Slip Nature Reserve and surroundings

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last week I visited South Wales for a few days R&R leaving Mrs OC to look after the pooches and oversee the kitchen installation. Having lived in Cardiff for four years and with my son having lived in South Wales for a long time I’m quite familiar with the area. So this time I went a bit off of the beaten track. In my wandering I decided to visit the Parc Slip nature reserve. It is a mature site developed on the old workings of the Slip mine where there was disaster in Victorian times. There’s a good sized car park suitable for motorhomes too, with a nice cafe visitor center. The information boards give details of the various routes and reserve areas. It has been developed to be as accessible as possible in many areas. Overall if you are in the area it’s worth a visit. It’s in Tondu off of the Bridgend Maesteg road. Just a short walk through the woods from the reserve is the Tondu Heritage Iron Works. You cannot access the old buildings but view them and then walk around the outer areas.

Two good pubs were the Llynfi Arms (tapas) and Nichols Arms ( gammon and pie) both very good food at reasonable price.

Other places I visited were the Kenfig Nature Reserve and walked from Coytrahen into the hills above Margam Park.

Not a normal area for tourers heading to Gower and points west but nice nevertheless. Worth investigating.

https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/parc-slip-visitor-centre/parc-slip-nature-reserve/

http://www.margamcountrypark.co.uk/

Reactions: Mel and Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last week I visited South Wales for a few days R&R leaving Mrs OC to look after the pooches and oversee the kitchen installation. Having lived in Cardiff for four years and with my son having lived in South Wales for a long time I’m quite familiar with the area. So this time I went a bit off of the beaten track. In my wandering I decided to visit the Parc Slip nature reserve. It is a mature site developed on the old workings of the Slip mine where there was disaster in Victorian times. There’s a good sized car park suitable for motorhomes too, with a nice cafe visitor center. The information boards give details of the various routes and reserve areas. It has been developed to be as accessible as possible in many areas. Overall if you are in the area it’s worth a visit. It’s in Tondu off of the Bridgend Maesteg road. Just a short walk through the woods from the reserve is the Tondu Heritage Iron Works. You cannot access the old buildings but view them and then walk around the outer areas.

Two good pubs were the Llynfi Arms (tapas) and Nichols Arms ( gammon and pie) both very good food at reasonable price.

Other places I visited were the Kenfig Nature Reserve and walked from Coytrahen into the hills above Margam Park.

Not a normal area for tourers heading to Gower and points west but nice nevertheless. Worth investigating.

https://www.welshwildlife.org/visitor-centres/parc-slip-visitor-centre/parc-slip-nature-reserve/

http://www.margamcountrypark.co.uk/
Looks very interesting love to explore more next season and see if there is any Caravan adult parks near by ;)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday, we took a day, trip over to look at pub caravan site near Cirencester, the Thames Head, very nice, so we will be going soon hopefully.
On the way back home there was a sign saying Whitney lakes resort, thinking it might have a touring site, checked it out. No its just a golf course, very disappointed.

DD, when we do go to The Thames Head I will give you a shout.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Friends took us there for a birthday meal maybe 10 years ago. Very enjoyable. They were staying at CAMC Cirencester. We went for the day, but we are only 45 mins away. Lovely place, but we never knew they had a site. That’s might be because it’s new. Or , that it’s tucked around the back. Just looked on street view.

We do fancy that. Enjoy your trip.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, we took a day, trip over to look at pub caravan site near Cirencester, the Thames Head, very nice, so we will be going soon hopefully.
On the way back home there was a sign saying Whitney lakes resort, thinking it might have a touring site, checked it out. No its just a golf course, very disappointed.

DD, when we do go to The Thames Head I will give you a shout.
I hope you have a nice break enjoy

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Friends took us there for a birthday meal maybe 10 years ago. Very enjoyable. They were staying at CAMC Cirencester. We went for the day, but we are only 45 mins away. Lovely place, but we never knew they had a site. That’s might be because it’s new. Or , that it’s tucked around the back. Just looked on street view.

We do fancy that. Enjoy your trip.

John
Thanks John, pub is really nice, site is round the back or the pub 8 hardstanding, pitches, and two grass. Landlord said weekends full. But Mondays to Fridays Ok, so suits us , need to get away soon,

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts