Parking caravan on the street

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know the law on parking a caravan on the street outside your house? Can I do this for as long as I like,and does it matter if it is attached to the car or not? Thanks- Jimbo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you could be batting on a sticky wicket. Anywhere you park on a public highway you are in theory creating an obstruction and can therefore be charged with this offence. If the van is oarked overnight it must be facing the oncoming traffic i.e. the rear reflectors must be visible to the traffic in the line of travel. Another point could be insurance - where do you stand for both your caravan insurance and also third party should someone hit the caravan? I would check with the police and your insurance company before taking any action of this kind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it unlawful to keep a caravan or trailer on the public highway?

If the caravan or trailer is attached to a car it is not causing an offence. Caravans and trailers parked on the public highway, which are not attached to a car, are considered to be unlawful structures and should be reported to the Highway Authority

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need to check with your local council, they may have a byelaw preventing such parking, but if they do not, the highway code says the following: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow

in a recognised parking place or lay-by. Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

Law RVLR reg 24

As the caravan is a trailer, as it is not self propelled, then it MUST have lights illuminated at night, wherever it is parked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From memory, the law states that if a caravan or trailer is parked on the highway, it must be connected to the towing vehicle, the wheels chocked and it must be illuminated to the rear (ie. lights on).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts