Parking in gear

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a camper van on a Ford Transit base. I always leave it in neutral with the handbrake on when parked on the level. However I have been told that it is perfectly safe to leave it in reverse gear without the handbrake applied as it would be impossible for it to roll as it is in gear. I don't believe this - can anyone advise?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I tend to do both, but the handbrake is designed for this job, so why not use it?
When I used to lay up my old van for winter, I used 1st gear and no handbrake to avoid the brakes seizing up, but parking while in regular use shouldn't cause that, even overnight, unless you're expecting a really heavy frost.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
BtW, I assume your username is about the colour of your camper - the old van I just mentioned was a red Transit too. Unusual, but I doubt it's the same one as I expect old Hannibal has been scrapped by now. F53 SPX just in case!

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Brum1 said:
Tony, you may be surprised to learn that according to the "my car check" app, F53 SPX is still on the road.

Me again. I've checked on the DVLA website and it has not been taxed since October 07 and MOT expired on May 9th 08.

I should learn to hold back before commenting in future.

Best seasonal wishes
Brum

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
That was when I parted with it. So it looks like the buyer used some spares off it and scrapped it without notifying. Sad, it gave us some great times!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts