Parksy has got the needle!

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday I had the pleasure of a visit from the Mod Parksy and during our conversations he disclosed yet another gift that he has developed amongst the many others .
It transpires that hje is a dab hand with a needle but not so with scissors,because whilst attempting to turn up a pair of trousers he marked where he needed to turn them up an promptly cut them off at thispoint by mistake leaving nothing to turn up,he is now puzzling over whether he can so the piece back on.
My advice is stick to caravanning. lol.
smiley-cool.gif

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Parksy you could sew hem binding on the cut edge which would give you a decent hem especailly if you use a wide one. Also if you had a sewing machine handy you could sew some of the fabric that you cut off back on then fold it where the seam is. So the actual seam is the bottom of the trousers. Hope this helps.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gee thanks for sharing that Tone
smiley-embarassed.gif

Thanks for the tip Dianne, we've got a sewing machine but Herself is scared of the needle going through her fingers which is why I sometimes have a go. We are both very short in stature so everything we have has to be turned up and we are fed up of paying to get it done.
The trousers were only cheap chinos from the market so they'll become shorts instead now
smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks for a great day out Tone, we enjoyed feeding the ducks
smiley-cool.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Or if there's enough material, stitch the piece back on where you cut it off, then fold it back on itself to make a turn-up which covers up the joint. Turn-ups are becoming trendy again, so I understand!
Mind you, shorts sounds like a good idea, but a bit cold for this weather.
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting visuals here and they ain't nice
smiley-frown.gif

I see Parksy sat in Plotts plush living room, wearing no cacks only Y fronts, socks and suspenders, sewing up his trousers.
smiley-surprised.gif

For the life of me I cannot imagine what was going on. Neither can I imagine what Mrs Plotts thought. She must have been really upset in Parksy not passing her the needle and thread. After all, sewing is womens work
smiley-laughing.gif

Maybe Parksy was attacked by the ducks and they bit off more than they could chew
smiley-embarassed.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As it happens the ducks at Barton Marina try to mug people and the cygnets pecked us when they weren't pecking each other.
Plott's living room is even plusher now that he's had his new leather suite but rest assured that my kecks remained firmly pulled up all the time that we were there
smiley-laughing.gif

I daren't comment here on 'gender ishoos', suffice to say that as a divorced man I quickly learned to turn my hand to all domestic chores when I lived by myself so I became independent (and remained neatly dresssed
smiley-laughing.gif
)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, what you and Plotts get up to in your own time, behind doors is up to you two. I'm not here to judge..

However, Parksy you have got up in my estimation because Mr LMH has his own sewing machine and he's ace on it. When we had our first van, he made all the curtains and cushions for it. You should see him go.
smiley-surprised.gif

Lisa
But he's still right manly though....
smiley-cool.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that I'm up to curtains and cushion standard yet Lisa, I will be cutting up one of our old awnings which is in the garage to make a cover for my solar panel when it's mounted onto the caravan roof next month. I'll have to get number 1 son to do that job while I adopt a supervisory role though.
After what happened when I tried my bike that time I don't think that I'll risk teetering about on top of step ladders
smiley-surprised.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Parksy. You should iron the turned hem before cutting and then iron down with 'wundweb' / iron on interfacing between the two sides of the hem and then sew. Far easier and better than pinning a hem, need less and smaller stitches and if the stitching wears the wundaweb should still hold the hem. Also it can be pulled apart if needed.
Curtains, soft furnishing tents / caravan awning repairs/zip replacement, duvet covers etc, not a problem
smiley-smile.gif
Sorry, but NO, I don't do repairs for other people.

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
There you go Steve lots of valuable tips for a budding seamstress ( note stress).
I must confess to being a little suprised when after you told me about getting a cover for your solar panel we happened to pass Canvas Repair Centre in Burton on Trent and you wanted to pop in to see if they did trouser alterations!
smiley-surprised.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
plotter said:
There you go Steve lots of valuable tips for a budding seamstress ( note stress).
I must confess to being a little suprised when after you told me about getting a cover for your solar panel we happened to pass Canvas Repair Centre in Burton on Trent and you wanted to pop in to see if they did trouser alterations!
smiley-surprised.gif

I was going to ask on your behalf Tone.
I can do my own don't forget and I would have asked them to make you a pair of shorts like the ones that I'm soon going to have. I'd hate you to feel left out.
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
parksy..............have you now learnt your lesson?..............leave sewing to women....after all it is womens work

(tounge firmly held in cheek)

hgv dave

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A brave sentiment Dave. I'm not too bad at metal bashing either, would you like me to knock a tin helmet up for you?
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
Best knock one up for me as well Steve in case Carole has a go at me.
Joking apart it was great to see you both last week and hope it is not so long next time between visits.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Tone, You know that Carole wouldn't hurt you. I hope to see you soon but I can't promise to be wearing my newly turned up trousers (or shorts depending on how adept I am with the scissors next time)
b.t.w. West Mids has a rally at Barton Turns Marina later this year
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts