Parrafin smell when Truma ultraheat is on and up to room temperature

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, switched the Truma ultraheat on to dry the seats out due to cleaning however I have left the heater on for 20 minutes and there is a smell of parrafin in the air But i have recently stored polish inside the van could this have caused it to smell? is there something wrong with the fire? (used on 230v)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sorry i cant give an answer, but would just like to ask if you have switched it off untill you get an answer from the teccies on here?
Better to be safe.
How close was the polish to the heater, was it wax or spray can?

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Sorry i cant give an answer, but would just like to ask if you have switched it off untill you get an answer from the teccies on here?
Better to be safe.
How close was the polish to the heater, was it wax or spray can?
It was autoglym super resin polish it was rested no where near could it possibly the cleaning solution i have been using to clean and yes it is switched off.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Would'nt have thought it would have been the polish (only my opinion)
Abbey have you got another electric heater in the house some where?
You could try this in the morning and see if you get the same smell and then it could point towards the cleaning solution you used.
Hope this helps

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Would'nt have thought it would have been the polish (only my opinion)
Abbey have you got another electric heater in the house some where?
You could try this in the morning and see if you get the same smell and then it could point towards the cleaning solution you used.
Hope this helps
I think you are right it was the cleaning solution because it smells the same as the van so it must be that thanks for the help as it has a strong paraffin smell.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Except when the Truma heater is brand new and used for the first time there is nothing in the Truma heater that could produce the smell you describe, so it must be something near or has come into contact with the heater.

Many resin based cleaners do contain parafin fractions, so it seem highly likely the polich is the source of the smell and its just the heat from the heater that has activated it.

give off a p

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Except when the Truma heater is brand new and used for the first time there is nothing in the Truma heater that could produce the smell you describe, so it must be something near or has come into contact with the heater.

Many resin based cleaners do contain parafin fractions, so it seem highly likely the polich is the source of the smell and its just the heat from the heater that has activated it.

give off a p

Another issue is the lagging/insulation on one fo the pipes from the heater causes this smell. Looking at the heater from the front, the tubing is on the left hand side. The tech cut ours back and smell disappeared.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Another issue is the lagging/insulation on one fo the pipes from the heater causes this smell. Looking at the heater from the front, the tubing is on the left hand side. The tech cut ours back and smell disappeared.

Did this produce a parafin smell?? Unlikley as non of the components used in a Truma heater are parafin based. so teh smell you got would have neen different.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Maybe the reference to paraffin is a misnomer???
After some months of no use our Truma "airblown " heating system does give off a "smell " for a short while. Probably mostly dust etc but nothing toxic. Within about 5 minutes all is ok and no further smells for the rest of the break.
If it still smells after say 20 minutes then you have a problem. Turn it all off and consult an expert!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty (and Surfer),

I don't think the mention of Paraffin by the OP was a misnomer, It was as far as far as I can read the primary reason for his question. He was unsure whether that meant there was a problem with the Truma heater, and that is a very valid question, if you don't know the answer.

Based on my knowledge of Truma's products, I know there is no material in the heater that will produce the classic paraffin smell. So reassurance to the OP on that matter.

I was intrigued by Surfers comment, and in the context of the thread I was wondering if he was suggesting he had experienced a 'paraffin' smell by his use of the phrase 'this smell' which in the context of the thread would be paraffin!.

The vast majority of of products that use a paraffin base are quite flammable, and as such it would he highly irresponsible to use them in a location near a high temperature heat source.

When I last checked Truma do not produce 'lagging' (wadding or wrapping) for their ducting, only secondary larger diameter tubing. So if Surfer has lagging then it is unlikely to be a Truma product, and if it does produce a paraffin smell, the I suggest its the wrong application.

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
hi all....its common for any material such as polish that have a fragrance (which evaporate when exposed to air) to be accellorated by heat, the trumastore as mentioned also has its own 'burn off' odour when first used for a number of times, this is the protective coating from manufacture, caution should always be exercised with odours as certain chemicals react adversly with heat.....all living and sleeping spaces in a caravan should be fitted with a CO alarm regardless and also gives peace of mind :)
(ACS gas heating engineer)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stuey

The appliance in questions according to the OP by Abbey Owner is a "Truma ultraheat" which is a convecting or fan assisted space heater not a a Trumastore.

The Trumastore only heats water and as such should not produce any smell inside the caravan whatsoever.

I do concure with the fitting of CO monitors, though it is highely unlikely that either the Ultraheat or the Trumastore would be an internal source of CO as they are both room sealed devices, venting all products of combustion to the outside - provided they are fitted in accordance with the manufactueres instructions.
The most likey sources of CO in a caravan are the cooker, grill and oven all of which have open flames, or heavy smokers..That is not suggest becoming complacement about CO or any possible sources.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts