Passat: 4motion or not?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having finally decided (after almost a year) to replace my 'stop-gap-bought-as-an-emergency' '95M Audi A6 2.0SE Avant, my partner and I have decided (sort of) on a Passat estate. We have driven a 1.9TDI 130 Sport 4motion and a 1.9TDI 130 Highline (2wd) and cannot seem to agree. The Sport 4motion handled brilliantly as you would expect for 4wd vehicle. The problem is that the ride was incredibly lumpy which I put down to the Sport suspension and low profile tyres (the Highline was nowhere near as bad as it has normal SE-spec suspension and 15 inch wheels with higher profile tyres), and there was a coarse vibration throughout the car all the time. The salesman said "its because its a Sport" but could offer no reasonable explanation when I pushed the point that it did it at idle stood still in traffic! The 2wd Highline did not vibrate anywhere near as much or in the same way. My neighbour has a Passat SE 1.9 TDI (100PS) which is much smoother - and slower. Does anyone know if this engine gets better with miles? The demo 4motion has 3500 miles on it, the 2wd Highline had 11000. My 'van weighs 1405kg MTPLM - although we don't run with it heavily laden and the Audi tows it beautifully. I have read reports of the Passat suffering from poor traction hence my preference for the 4motion version. Also when they are run in does the very noticeable turbo boost surge ease off? After 20 minutes in the 4motion 6-speed I got bored of the constant surging deivery despite my best attempts to moderate the accelerator. The 5 speed 2wd seemed much more relaxed. All opinions would be appreciated in respect of the Passat as their isn't that much useful info on the web. By the way I know the reliability can be questionable but am willing to take a gamble on this aspect. Or should I just get a Honda Accord CTDi Tourer???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a 1.9tdi SE saloon in '99 and changed to an estate 130 tdi SE in 2002. Both have been brilliant towing and solo, although the estate has the edge towing. I've never had any traction problems and my van's mtplm is 1472kg. You could, of course, go for a 4motion SE as a compromise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm thinking of towing 1450 mtplm with a Sharon 1.9 115bhp. 4motion if I can get one but I note they were only available in reg. oow to 02/02 Anyone know why they were dicontinued and / or if they would tow that well ?

Jul 13, 2005
Visit site
I had a 1.9tdi SE saloon in '99 and changed to an estate 130 tdi SE in 2002. Both have been brilliant towing and solo, although the estate has the edge towing. I've never had any traction problems and my van's mtplm is 1472kg. You could, of course, go for a 4motion SE as a compromise.
I guess you have probably already bought your car, however we are the pround owners of a 54 plate Passate estate TDi 130 Highline and love it. Our van has an MTPLM of 1407kg and we seem ok with it. The only issue is a smoking clutch if we try to reverse up a slope, so we avoid this now. I'm not quite sure of the kerbweight though, the glossy brochure suggests just over 1800kg, the owners manual gives a lower figure but that is based on engine type and doesn't seem to take account of the spec/trim of our vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts