Passat Estate

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have recently purchased a VW Passatt 2.5 V6 TDi (Auto) estate which we were hoping to tow our new Coachman Amara which we take delivery of next month. Up to now we have been towing our old Avondale with a Daewoo Nubira which was fine but we were hoping for a bit more oomph.

I have recently read that there are problems with a smoking clutch (and Horrible smell) when reversing with the Passat. Has anyone had experience of this or generally towing with a Passat?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the 130 TDI which is a brilliant towcar going forward but hates reversing too ! I had to have a new clutch at 65,000 miles. I am not sure if part of the problem is that it pulls away so easily perhapsI am accelerating too fast ? The dreadfull smell is apparent on the gentlest uf uphill reverses, especially on grass.However, I was happy enough to buy the car for my wife( ex company)and have just got another new one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave, thanks for that. We did take her away last weekend to deepest Wales, She performed very well even on the hilly bits. We reversed her onto a pitch without any noticeable burning smell. I suspect one of the problems is that when you go into reverse, the car revereses without you needing to touch the accelerator. That is a little unerving and I am terrified of going into reverse instead of drive at traffic lights!

Any idea what sort of MPG we can expect? Best wishes, Roz

TRENDING THREADS