patterned concrete

Mar 24, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone had their driveway done in concrete where they then pattern and colour it ?

As everything it looks good in the web pictures how much did you pay and have you had any problems, just thought i'd ask before i get the bloke round for a quote, the front is bricked and shingle at the mo and it's a pain in the backside getting the caravan round the side of the house on the shingle

cheers mark.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Beware. It is not meant to crack, I know of two cases where it cracked badly and the contractors wriggled and squirmed their way around the guarantee.

A new house built near us had a front double driveway put in by the purchaser as the builder was doing the final finish.

The surface breaks some new(?) planning law and the building inspector made them dig it up as solid driveways "cause flooding" as rain water does not soak away through it.

Most new houses in our area have block paved or gravel surface so water can soak away to the water table.

I've heard of this elsewhare so make sure the surface does not break any planning rules.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Sadie has said, recent rules have been implemented that all driveways now being laid, and those being replaced, will be of a permeable substance to allow rain water to filter into the ground.

The days of concrete driveways is over, and many tarmac as well, unles it is the same as the stuff now being used on roads which is permeable.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Damian, I thought it was only if you were extending your drive and taking away lawned area that you could fall foul of the new planning regs, but I could be wrong (usually am, or is that just the OH giving me a complex!!)

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Sorry, read the OP again and if you are replacing shingle (pourous) then yes the new regs will stipulate either a sufficent soakaway inplace or pourous bricks etc.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
a few people near me have had it done (couple of years ago) and some are OK but some have cracked.

also one guy has dug his up due to some visitors slipping over (drive is slightly sloped) in the wet.

We looked at it but it was way too expensive and , as my drive is shared with the neighbour it would have looked odd.

Whatever you do go on recommendation locally and from people you know.

I had my drive tarmaced 3 years ago. We got the company details from yellow pages , they had a free phone number and the guys doing the job all had logo'd clothing and gear. All looked legit.

However it turned out to be passing pikeys. Thankfully they did actually do a reasonable job mostly because I told them upfront before they started that I wouldn't pay unless I was happy and I'd be watching them like a hawk. They did my 2 neighbours , one elderly , and her daughter wasn't happy so went to trading standards , who tested the drive , but said it was acceptable.

I think it was purely down to luck and the fact I was literally standing over them whilst they did it that we got a reasonalby job.

Lesson learnt , I wont trust the wife to do a man's job again , soft soaked by a smooth talking Irish navvy (ouch thats going to hurt!!!!)

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Marky P,

I had my drive and complete frontage done in impressed concrete approx 18 months ago. The company is based in Tonbridge, Kent, I am not going to name the company for risk of retribution. The cost was

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Mark, be aware that you could still have issues as most bricks do not pass the latest pourous test, you may still need planning permission.

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
As a groundworker I would say to get in touch with a well known and respected contractor.

As mentioned you do have to put cuts in the concrete at certain intervals, there called "cracker joints" they dont have to be deep just 25ish mm as you still want the slab to be one piece, these can then be filled with an expandable joint filling paste from a mastic gun.

You would need extra drainage with either ACO drains linked to a rainwater sewer or a suitable layered stone soak away.

I dont like block paving even thought i've done a lot in the past, unless you get the proper "rough feel" ones then they are really slippy in the wet, and you cant put grit salt on them in winter as you will ruin them.

I'd go with tarmac as you can have it tinted with whatever colour you want, or there is always the trusty slabs!

TRENDING THREADS