Paying at the hypermarket.

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
I remember reading a warning that some French hypermarkets insist on doing their own currency exchange when paying with a credit card. Travelling to france next week, could anybody offer more details? Which chains are following this procedure, then I can avoid them!!

JSGJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In all the hypermarkets and any other organisations in France the exchange rate is determined by your credit card company when using this method of payment and the exchange rate is normally better than the tourist rate.

Just be sure that any CC slips that you sign are for the correct amount in euros and that any dodgy outfits do not do their own conversions and write their own version of the price in Sterling on the voucher.

If this happens it would only be in the "booze cruise" areas.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Just returned from 5 weeks in France. Used credit card for everything including cash withdrawals from ATMs (about 70 times). Most outlets now require Pin & Chip operation. ( Except Lidl and petrol stations who still swipe cards) All slips are in Euros. Conversion rate is set by Mastercard/Visa in U.K. but is much better than changing cash etc. I got _1.51 /

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Brian re CC being probably the best method of getting cash and purchasing when abroad.

I would add that it is worthwhile letting your card provider know roughly where you are going and what you are likely to use it for. CC fraud happens everywhere and by letting the provider know you are on holiday in, say France, they would know that a purchase in the USA during your holiday period is likely to be fraudulent - this based on a real example.

The providers have some very clever software to spot unusual transactions but it is still wise to inform them. If they just think you are "abroad" they may not pick up anything unusual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts