Paying up-front for Warrant work! what next?

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2010 Sterling elite Searcher,
the last trip out, whilst happily coasting along the M18, the blue external drain valve for the inboard tank fell off, It hit the windscreen of the car behind, fortunately the driver was in our party, still not happy though.
The problem is the Dealer has quoted 8-12 weeks for the part from Swift, so cannot use the inboard tank whilst waiting, how long does it take to post a litttle tap from swift to the dealer?
I have since found out, this is apparently a common prob, anybody else this happened to?
Probably why the 2011 model has it directly under seating area.

When contacted by the dealer, i was told as this is not a serviceable part? I would have to pay £14.74p for the part.
I am astonished that when my van is only 10 months old I have to pay up-front for a warranty issue,
On contacting Swift, they told me to pay the dealer and them send an invoice to Swift for re-imburshent, good job its not the fridge/freezer which retails a £1100!!

What next?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not know why you are posting this now on this forum, you have already had a reply from Andy at Swift on the Swift Forum a few days ago(October 5th):

Quote "Your quite right for warranty work you should not be asked to pay or anything. I am not sure why this was the case, have you spoke to Glossop and asked them why?
Andy"

I do not think the situation has changed since then.

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Damian
I am simply posting on this site as "Swift-Talk" is as the name suggests for swift owners, I am letting the general users of this forum know what tricks certain dealers are up to!
As you rightly quote, Andy from Swift has replied, but from the earlier contact on "Swift-Talk" i stated that I had already contacted the dealer, as i posted.
The response from the Manufacturers, as far as I am concerned, is not acceptable, that I will take up with Swift,
as for posting on this forum, as stated, is to make your readers aware of the actions of certain dealers to ,in my opinion, avoid warranty responsibilities!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paulfbu said:
Damian
I am simply posting on this site as "Swift-Talk" is as the name suggests for swift owners, I am letting the general users of this forum know what tricks certain dealers are up to!
As you rightly quote, Andy from Swift has replied, but from the earlier contact on "Swift-Talk" i stated that I had already contacted the dealer, as i posted.
The response from the Manufacturers, as far as I am concerned, is not acceptable, that I will take up with Swift,
as for posting on this forum, as stated, is to make your readers aware of the actions of certain dealers to ,in my opinion, avoid warranty responsibilities!!

I 'm on Swift Talk and don't own a Swift
smiley-laughing.gif
. In fact when Swift first started their forum they welcomed non Swift owners with open arms.
That said, warranty or not, I'm very surprised at the cost of this small plastic tap. The brass three way water valve in our Wyoming failed this summer. Cost £4.95 for a new one!!
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

I note your caravan is a 2010 model. This almost certainly means it is covered by warranty, which is your legal right under the sale of goods act. The manufacturer is not involved as they are not a party to the contract of sale you agreed to.

If goods are less than 6 months old, the dealer has to prove the failure was due to abnormal usage or deliberate damaging actions.
If the goods are more than 6 month old it is up to you to establish the goods are faulty.

You should not be asked to pay for warranty repairs, so I do wonder if there is some doubt about the cause of the failure or the age of the caravan. Depending on the product involved some SoGA claims have been successful up to 6 years from time of purchase.

Caravan manufactures guarantees are a very different matter and should not be confused with sellers warranty. Basically the caravan manufacture can write all the rules they wish about their guarantee, but the terms and conditions must be supplied when the guarantee is comes into force.

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
if a part is covered by a warranty there is no need to pay up front, the warranty will pay for the cost of the part and the labour. i think this is a very bad practice and im shocked to here of any dealer trying to play a stunt like this.

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Read Caravans
I'm glad a dealer has made thise comments,
I was begining to think i was becoming a bit paranoid,
The fact that Swift have agreed to reinburse me suggests the responsibility is either the Dealer or Manufacturer.
The principle still remains, I should not have to pay up front, I know is only £14.74p, butt as I said in the title, what next,
I could get a "gate Valve" from toolstation for £4, it wolud do the job, but should not have to,
I have just, 10 months ago, given this dealer £20K+ Not anymore!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts