Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

I know its been covered before, but I cannot find it.

First time towing to France coming up. Are there specific lanes for caravans at the peage/toll booths?

Regards

Steve

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
There are usually no specific lanes/kiosks for caravans. However, some lanes, usually on the left, are reserved for credit card payemnts and there is the occasional one reserved for lorries wkith high cabs.

Best policy is to approach slowly and look for the green sign indicating that the booth is manned and that you will get change. Just before the window, there is a sign saying how much car and caravan will cost.

At the automatic booths, coins are easier to use than notes, so we usually save all our odd euros, 2 euros and some coppers to make life easier at these.

Enjoy your trip.

May 14, 2006
Visit site
Off to France next week, we will be using the A26/A1 towards Paris, i have used this route a few times solo, but never with the van. Could anybody tell me the difference in price from just a car to a car and van, i hadnt even given it a thought!!!

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Steve

I agree with Colin and we allways stay on nearside booths

so as to keep out of the way of cars when you get through.

Also remind the passenger that they will have to pay the toll and may find it easier to undo seatbelt as you pull up at toll.

Happy touring.

Steve

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Off to France next week, we will be using the A26/A1 towards Paris, i have used this route a few times solo, but never with the van. Could anybody tell me the difference in price from just a car to a car and van, i hadnt even given it a thought!!!
Hi Lee

Go to mappy.com put in your route and tick with caravan

and the tolls will be displayed on your route.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lee

Hope this helps.

Steve

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lee

Hope this helps.

Steve

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lee

Hope this helps.

Steve

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lee

Hope this helps.

Steve

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve

I agree with Colin and we allways stay on nearside booths

so as to keep out of the way of cars when you get through.

Also remind the passenger that they will have to pay the toll and may find it easier to undo seatbelt as you pull up at toll.

Happy touring.

Steve
Steve,

A couple of other comments, make sure that the lane you are in does not have a height barrier. These are usually in the offside lanes and usually signed 'telepeage' or a big 't'. Nearside (righthand side) lanes should be OK and, if in doubt, follow a lorry.

Beware also that the lanes through the toll booths are quite narrow with very high concrete kerbs. Keep an eye on your caravan wheels in the mirrors, particularly the nearside as that is the side that you will almost invariably have to pay and so you will have a natural tendancy to move over to that side. Paying tolls is the job of the front seat passenger !!

Regards

John M

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Steve,

I meant to send this as a reply, not a comment, sorry Stephen.

A couple of other comments, make sure that the lane you are in does not have a height barrier. These are usually in the offside lanes and usually signed 'telepeage' or a big 't'. Nearside (righthand side) lanes should be OK and, if in doubt, follow a lorry.

Beware also that the lanes through the toll booths are quite narrow with very high concrete kerbs. Keep an eye on your caravan wheels in the mirrors, particularly the nearside as that is the side that you will almost invariably have to pay and so you will have a natural tendancy to move over to that side. Paying tolls is the job of the front seat passenger !!

Regards

John M

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Whatever you do, don't do what we did! In Italy, my wife was paying the tolls from the passenger seat and had her purse on her knee. At one toll point where we needed to take a ticket, she couldn't quite reach the button, so opened the door, stepped out and then back in. You can guess what happened. Unfortunately we didn't discover the loss until some way down the motorway - far too late to even think about turning around, even if there'd been a place to stop. Expensive mistake!

John M

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Some toll booths are unmanned and can take credit/debit cards - which they do without requiring a pin number to be entered. Slightly scary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some toll booths are unmanned and can take credit/debit cards - which they do without requiring a pin number to be entered. Slightly scary.
But they have a button so you can choose to get a recepit - always do so, so you can check against your statement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts