Peak District

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone recommend any sites in the Buxton or Matlock area please. Preferably not too big but with normal facilities.
Not cc sites they are fully booked when we want to go.

Steve.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are a Caravan Club member I would look at their Buxton site which is just outside the town in a reclaimed quarry. Excellent site and well protected from the weather if it is bad.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at Lickpenny near Matlock, and Rivendell near Fenny Bentley, Ashbourne. I have stayed at both of these and they are both pleasant. There is a site called something like Cloverfields (Clover something anyway) near Buxton. This was recommended to me, but I have never been myself.
We have also stayed at Callow Top near Ashbourne, absolutely not my cup of tea.
mel

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the sites Mel they all look good, what didn't you like about Callow Top? I must admit their website did not inspire me.

Steve

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve,
I have stayed at Callow Top once, when we were invited to join some friends. It wasn't my cup of tea either. If you like big sites, with pubs, clubs and noise, then it's probably ideal. Oh, and the entertainment was when the Police arrived in the early hours to sort out a fight on one of the site's fields! Granted it was in May 2008, but I'm not in a hurry to go back.
Clover Fields Touring Park is an adults only site near to Buxton, which I recently visited and would certainly be very happy to return to, although it's an ongoing project with building going on. Having said that, in no way does the development impact on visitors. Facilities are spotless.
Nigel.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Pretty similar to what Nigel said apart from the Police turning up. All felt very cramped and crowded; the phrase "battery hens" came to mind. The vans seemed very close together both side to side and particularly those parked across from you. While driving down between the rows of vans to get to our pitch OH, who was towing, was heard to utter more than the occasional expletive. There was a vicious speed bump before the main gate and the slope up to the entrance was steep and slippy.
All this said, we went some time ago (c2007/2008?) so it may be better now.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The doog said:
Can anyone recommend any sites in the Buxton or Matlock area please. Preferably not too big but with normal facilities.
Not cc sites they are fully booked when we want to go.

Steve.
Hi Steve
I know you say no CC sites but I've never had any trouble getting into Grinlow, now CC Buxton,. A great setting, excellent walking and clos eto Buxton Town.
Chatsworth is the only one that beats me every year and so I don't even bother trying to book it.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
I have just booked 2 nights at Chatsworth - 1 & 2nd August to tie in with a performance of Pride & Prejudice they are doing in the grounds of Chatsworth on the 1st We only live an hour or so up the motorway but thought a stroll back to the van after the performance was preferable to the fight to get out of the carpark and a drive home. Husbands birthday on the 2nd too so 2 birds with one stone :)

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
The problem i had was we wanted a week over the bank holiday, the weekdays are fine but the weekends are fully booked.
We have now booked cloverfield as recommended by Mel it looks really nice and gets great reviews.

Steve

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dalesmanbod
Unfortunately the text of your post has failed to load to the message board.
It's highly likely that the reason for this will be your choice of web browser. Contrary to popular belief most versions of Internet Explorer use older incomplete codes which do not automatically update and which do not comply with present day internet technology. Microsoft recognise the problem and have come up with a way to resolve this issue, Click Here for instructions on how to activate the Internet Explorer compatibility mode. Alternatively you might like to choose a more up to date web browser such as Mozilla Firefox.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I stopped at a site at buxton called Clover Fields this place is brillant and they have service pitches which include a tap they also have Toilet & Shower Facilities look at the reviews on UK Campsites and then decide if you want to go ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts