Perished window seals.

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
I have an Award Tristar and the Gray window seal has perished causing the window to stick shut. The only way to open the windows is to push a thin knife between the window and the rubber seal. Can anyone tell me where to buy new rubber seals and why this would happen as i look after the van well.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jim, Firstly you can purchase the new seals at any reputable dealers shop, just make sure you order the right size the sealant is already applied, and as far as I understand the breakdown of the grey seals is somthing to do with the reaction to UV and the plastic windows!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Metz is quite right about grey caravan seal's.It would be best to replace them, if you can't do this before your next use of the van put a very fine smearing of cooking or olive oil on the seals and this will prevent them sticking even in the highest of weather temps.

Rob

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I have heard that talcum powder can also allieviate this problem of sticking grey window rubbers; but can vouch that it works on black when the weather is hot or on windows that are not normally opened on a regular basis.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have heard that talcum powder can also allieviate this problem of sticking grey window rubbers; but can vouch that it works on black when the weather is hot or on windows that are not normally opened on a regular basis.
Hi Lee,

Have heard the same idia a couple of months ago and I agree it might be a good problem solver as it does not have any sticky substance that could adhere to the seals and won't dry out and it might smell better than olive oil cooked in the sun. I can't see it doing any harm, but it might wash away,

What do you think ?

Rob

Jun 6, 2005
Visit site
All the vans with the grey seals had a product recall way back in 199? err 7 I think, somewhere around then anyway, and the manufacturers gave a 5 year amnesty to have them replaced FOC as a faulty "not fit for purpose item". This is what a dealer told me having bought my first van which had your problem anyway. Quite easy to replace though. The last owner suggested Vaseline but yours are way past that point. Better get it done before the rain comes as they may well not re seal once opened.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
hi,contact www.sealsdirect.co.uk for all your seals on the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts