Permanent Caravanning.

Page 20 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
hi grody, a motormover is a good idea if you are moving around a lot, I have one and could not move the van on my own without it, they are a brilliant invention !
hows it all going now..?

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
grody said:
Thanks everyone - and I take all your suggestions very seriously.
The one subject I expected to come up but didn't - well, not so far anyway - is the subject of a mover. All the reading I've done so far doesn't seem to mention them very often (if at all) but I'd assumed that when trying to position a 5 berth van (big, but there is a reason) on your own then I'd be better with one than without one.
hi grody.
abi 2 is correct of course, but I suspect the reason the subject has not come up is because most of us (non full timers) have to have one in order to manouver the van either on/off the drive or in/out of storage, as you will be using the van exclusively on sites with plenty of space it should be possible to get the van anywhere you want it by reversing "even if it takes a few attempts"
smiley-laughing.gif
they are not cheap, and there is something else that could go wrong, a dam good solar panel and charger may be a better use of resourses, but hey as we "caravanners say if you want one go for it!!.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Grody

I had not especially considered lone caravanning, but as you say there are a number of issues that being solo will perhaps be a little more difficult or even sometimes easier.

I did a quick Google search on "Single Caravanning" and it turned up quite a number of sites where some of the issues of solo caravanning are discussed, I'm sure you might find some usfull information in some of them. There were some other sites that centered on the first word of the search and had little to do with caravanning!

One thing I should warn you about is the danger of relying on the content of forum posts. On the whole most posters will be offering genuine honest and correct information, but occasionally they advice may be wrong, downright dangerous or illegal, so its always best to double check if you can.

It occurs to me that if there is little published useful information, there could be a project for you - write a guide or a book on your experiences and learning process, who knows perhaps Practical Caravan might like to use them as series about solo caravanning.

Best of luck, and happy caravanning.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We only used our mopver 4 times a year but with a twin axle it was a necessity. Not sure if John is referring to permanent caravanning being dangerous and illegal or just general posts on a forum?
smiley-laughing.gif

BTW I wonder how the original poster Ogre in the first post is doing as we have not heard from them for some time. Maybe Parksy can give them a nudge?

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Once again, thank you everyone. It is so comforting to find people willing to offer help like this.

I have now googled 'single caravanning' and yes, thanks, it did produce another, slightly different batch of info which I then happily hoovered up and stored. Well I think I stored, but at my age I'm not sure which mental shelf I popped it on. Only when I try to retrieve it will I know if it was successful.
smiley-laughing.gif

The divorce process grinds slowly on. We're off to the financial Mediation tomorrow which, as my wife's pension is far greater than mine, will be an interesting process. The point of mediation is also to avoid BIG legal bills so, in time, we'll see if this is actually the outcome.

Until the process coughs up some dosh I can't buy/sort tow car or van but I'm trying to learn as much as poss in the mean time. My fear is that the money will not be available until deepest winter and I'm not sure I want to start this totally new life at the depth of the freeze. Better would be to have a go in the Autumn and then be better armed to weather the deepest winter. On that note, I've been told that many people now take their vans to Spain for the winter and only return in say March or April. That sounds like a plan to avoid my learning process being endured amongst snow and ice. Does anyone have any experience of the 'Spain for the winter' method of survival???

TRENDING THREADS