Pet travelling harnesses.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a long trip coming up where hopefully the sun may shine. Up to now we have used travelling crate for the dogs, and depending on the car it was either positioned on the load area or behind the front seats with the rear seats laid flat. Although the Skoda Superb isn't short on space and would swallow the crate my wife thinks as the dogs are getting older maybe they could travel on the back seats and take advantage of the B-pillar air con outlets!

The rear seat bases hinge forwards and lay against the rear of the front seats, so there is then a good area across the car which allows loads to be carried without risk of damaging the leather. So have any members used dog restraints attached either to the isofix points or the seat belts. Our dogs travel well and aren't likely to want to climb over and join us up front. What I am looking to safeguard is my wife and I from 2x20kg of dog flying forwards in the event of sudden braking or an accident, and safeguard the dogs too.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Otherclive, we used to use the anchor points in the boot area of our last Shogun, the current one has them as well.
Cant see a problem if you use the Isoafix fixings, we got ourselves a short lead with the same clip on both ends and used that.
But got to admit we dont teather him now as he hates travelling and is always laid down!!!!!
STOWFORD_001.jpg

STOWFORD_002.jpg

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
OC ..
We have two of these in both car's one for our lab & one for the greyhound, ( it saves searching for them ) we have used this particular type of harness for over ten years for when they are travelling on the back seat..

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We keep our dog on long leads in the back of the car. But hooked so the can jump down, out of the car but no more than 4 foot from the car. Incase of a breakdown,
A mate of mine just lets his dog loose in the back of the car, and lets it out before putting it on a lead, The number of arguments about that we have had, his dog in our car goes on a long attached lead. And as your OC they are not interested about getting over the seats.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just whilst your on this subject of dogs etc I read in the magazine that they have reduced the lead length from 4m down to 3m now on club sites. When we were at the ralley the other week there was lots of dogs there and a little Chihuahua got its face ripped off by a bigger dog on an extendable lead. :(

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, it's against the law to travel with a dog loose in the car, and could invalidate your insurance as well in the event of an accident. We have a travel crate which our dog is perfectly happy in, having been used to it from an early age, she just lies down and goes to sleep. And I'm happy knowing that she's safe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've gone for the Klein Allsafe as they have been tested by TUV, came second in US safety tests using sled type test vehicles and are half the price of the US top rated one. Bought one privately almost brand new and still with original packaging as the dog didn't like it. The All Safe doesnt get the US endorsement certificate and logo as the German company still offers the tethers from harness to seat belt, which according to the US are a no-no. The tests show quite conclusively that using the seat belts and having the dog on a tethered harness isn't at all good as the dog gets thrown to the extremity of the tether before the belts come into play. Also another factor that influenced me is that one of our dogs doesn't take well to other dogs and lunges at them. Over time she has broken a number of collars which use the push fit buckles, they just fly apart. So the harnesses that did best in the US tests had metal reverse strap fastenings and used "rated" carabiners.

Again thanks for the replies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Soozeeg said:
As far as I'm aware, it's against the law to travel with a dog loose in the car, and could invalidate your insurance as well in the event of an accident. We have a travel crate which our dog is perfectly happy in, having been used to it from an early age, she just lies down and goes to sleep. And I'm happy knowing that she's safe.

Can you direct me to where you got your information please? There is one harness maker in UK that says such thing but to my knowledge I cant smoke in the car, cant use my mobile, cant have unrestrained children, but at present the dogs can sit where they want. But they don't.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Soozeeg said:
Hello Clive, I remembered reading it somewhere some months back but couldn't remember where, so I googled it.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/809385/driving-with-pet-law-rules-car-insurance-fine
Seems it's a Highway Code directive.

Thanks fir the link but as with much emanating from the Express the article uses the word “must” which is an inaccurate representation of what the Highway Code actually says. It’s not UK law to have your pet restrained but it is recommended. But as with much of the advisory advice given in the Highway Code should you not comply and have an accident, your non compliance may obviously count against you in any subsequent proceedings if that non compliance were deemed a contributory factor. It would also affect your insurance too.
Here’s what the Highway Code actually says:

Rule 57
When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

I would venture to add that dogs carried in the load area with a dog guard are also restrained.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts