petrol/diesel KIA SORENTO

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Little Brian, Mr Lionheart please, don't be so familiar.

The caravan in question is quite a lightweight, hence my advice, where was a twin axle mentioned in the text?

Please do your homework before "fine tuning" my figures.

Take one hundred lines-

I will not buy another Maverick as it's broken down again

PS please explain "noise weight"

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Sir sir,

The twin axle was mentioned in my text as I have a twin axle and was pointing out that 4x4's can not be dismissed totally as some of us do actually need one.

I would gladly buy another Maverick/Terrano as this is the first time it has broken down in 104000 miles, not again as you say. Please do your homework.;O)

Noise weight is a typo, should have said nose weight, thanks for pointing out that to me.

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Darrell and welcome to this happy forum. I norte from your question that you are requesting opinions on diesel versus petrol as a tow car , personally I have towed with both and I am know a confirmed diesel driver. The diesel gives a higher torque at lower revs which is ideal for towing . Thgis means a easier smoother tow with less gear changes needed.

The Sorento is a good tow car and great value for money, if it was me I would look at an XS or XT as these have inteligent 4x4 where as the XE has selectable 4x4. If it is used you are looking at look at a late model as they have the 5 speed auto. The new model should be hitting the showrooms anytime know which means there are some great bargains around .

Interesting how on this site if you ask about a specific 4x4 you are almost gaurenteed to get replies not against that vehicle but against 4x4's in general. If you like it then get it.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Darrel :

Well, if you've managed to pick your way through the school room 'noise', I can give you an opinion as I own a Sorrento. In fact I purchased it new last October having tried to tow with my Mercedes estate! So in that sense we have similar issues. My caravan is a large('ish) Bailey Senator Oklahoma and my Mercedes could not handle the nose weight - simple as that; it would dip its rear and was not up to it.

I bought the Sorento XS Automatic Diesel. Diesel is no contest due to the torque and overall mpg. Automatic or Manual was also an issue for me as I prefer manuals. However, I chose the automatic and would NEVER return; at least not when towing. The XS has a lovely box which is smooth and silky and the car tows the Senator with ease. However, I have recently added a TUNIT performance box and now have some real 'get up and go'; all for under

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Darrell

I have a Sorrento diesel manual. its my fourth 4x4 as a tow car and my eighth tow car and defn the best car i have owned VFM and all round driveability (is that a real word)

I also feel I must come to the defence of CliveV who i have always found to be a guy who gives an honest view and good advice. In my opinion i have never read him insult another member of this forum but have seen other members insult him when his arguments have proven to solid for them to tear apart.

Martin

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Darrell,

I have an 04 XS auto and tow a Bailey Pageant at 1400kg. Driving to southern france this yaer the cars auto box was faultless in selecting the right gear even on the steep inclines south of Clermont Ferrand. We get about 22-23 mpg towing and 30mpg solo. Our other tow car is a Mondeo diesel and although its power to weight ratio is better than the Sorento at around 95% match I am far more aware of the effect of lorries and side winds etc. And yes I do load sensibly having a multiplicity of spraedsheets for all types of holiday. My wife finds the Sorento easier to drive and park than the Mondeo.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
CliveV you are obviously having difficulty grasping this, in another life I was a primary school teacher so I will try to draw on my experience to make it a bit easier for you.

Let's do some roll play.

Try to imagine yourself back at primary school and you are sitting at the back of the class pulling the girls pig tails and playing with your rubber.

Now little Clive sit up look at the blackboard and LISTEN.

2 vehicles one a 4x4, the other a comparable saloon car

First car a 2.5 4x4, heavy body, heavy transmission etc = more fuel consumption = higher emissions = higher pollution.

Second car a 2.5 saloon car, lighter body etc = lower fuel consumption = lower emissions = lower pollution.

Do you understand that young Clive at the back?

NO?

2/10 see me
Oh deary deary me we do seem to have our knickers in a twist, seeing as we are at school, roll play should read "role" play, poor show Ricky, see me 0/10

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I still think we should have a seperate "Sorento owners" forum on here.

You know, somwhere we can go and be smug for a while!

(Ever say something that's bound to come back and bite your rear end?)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Really? An interesting choice for an eco warrior. I had you down for a Prius. Why such a large poluting car?
Hi Lol

Give Ricky a break. it's his choice if he wants to pollute as much as a 4X4 without the benefits, you must have had too much sun at the weekend, or was the breakfast a bit too much for you?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol

You mustn't keep upsetting the non 4x4 people, after all it's not their fault they wouldn't have been able to get on or off the slopes last weekend,too much sun and too big a breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!they will never know what they missed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So true Keith, I do find it hard making allowances for Kanga, that's why I don't bother.

Have you managed to get over your breakfast as well, I haven't eaten a thing since Sunday morning, it was far too much!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts