petrol/diesel KIA SORENTO

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
new to caravvaning( got to old for camping). bailey 460/4 series 5 towing with a 1998 merc .c200 auto 68,000miles . read the rave reviews re. KIA sorento and am seriously considering buying. can anyone give me any input for/against petrol v diesel & auto v manual. also what model should i look at and possibly a rough estimate re. price of a model a couple of years old . grateful for any feedback

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Looking at your caravan I can't help feeling that you are going to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Ask yourself do you really need a large 4x4 to tow your caravan given it's light weight.

Plus the day to day running costs of a Sorento which are pretty high, pollution etc

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Looking at your caravan I can't help feeling that you are going to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Ask yourself do you really need a large 4x4 to tow your caravan given it's light weight.

Plus the day to day running costs of a Sorento which are pretty high, pollution etc
Hi Darrell,

I borrowed a friends Diesel Sorrento to pick up my new twin axle van and I must say that it towed really well. my mate reckons he gets about 40 mpg on the run and mid thirtys overall.

The petrol car is quicker but unless you carry out an LPG conversion, the running costs are higher and depreciation steeper.

I wouldn't worry about it being overkill for your caravan because the extra weight gives you an improved safety margin when towing.

Take one for a test drive if you can live with the ride (a bit hard) you won't go far wrong with one.

By the way I drive a Shogun 3.2 did so my opinion is not biast.

regards

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

It's rather perculiar, but you sound very familiar, Ricky. But lets put that aside for a moment, and concentrate on your answer. Did Darrell say that the only reason he needed a Sorento was to tow his van, is there a possability that he might desire it for other reasons? Are the day to day running costs any more than a Mercedes C200 auto? Will the Sorento polute more than his present car? What's wrong with using a sledge hammer to crack a nut? Darrell has identified a need and asked a prudent questions, why not try and be constructive for a change? Oh, forget that, you obviously wont be.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darell

Some people are anti 4x4 by bigoted opinion - no facts - no figures - just an emotional response to something they do not like. Ignore them. The person who posted above always steps in with "pollution" as a reason not to have a 4x4 - Ha! - like what he drives runs on hydrogen I suppose!

You may have a smallish caravan now but what if you get a bigger one? Besides - no harm in increasing the safety margin.

The Anti's stance is about as logical as saying a twin axle caravan is more polluting than a single axle.

So just look act the facts and choose what you want.

CC Tow car of the Year - excellent reputation from those that have one on this Forum - good write ups from other mages as well.

No bigger than an average largish saloon.

Choose want you want - not what some numpty on a mission thinks you should have.

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
CliveV, will you please stop following me around the forum harassing me, moderator please note.

I am merely offering my opinion as an experienced caravanner of many years standing.

Contrary to your "bigoted opinion" I am not an "anti" and I do believe that 4x4's have their place in society and I was merely asking the poster to consider the running costs of such a large vehicle.

I will not be bullied by you as you have bullied others and by calling me a "numpty on a mission" contravenes forum etiquette I do believe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Part one is easy, Darrell. Go for the diesel, as the petrol is both thirsty and not much faster, indeed if you are looking for a fast 4x4 look at the BMWs of this world (and their price tags) but the Sorento bowls along nicely anyway. Auto V manual is down to personal preference. I prefer the manual but others swear by an auto, which has had good reviews. The XS is probably the best model out there, with a good blend of equipment and price. The XT has even more standard goodies but at a premium. The XE is certainly no poor relation and I think is the better choice because you can run it in 2 wheel drive and only use the 4 wheel drive when needed. As for pricing, it would seem that the way to go is private, dealers charging relatively high amounts for any reg car. You should be able to pick up an average XE 04 for around

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Perhaps it was a bit inopportune for Darrell to say what he wants to tow with the Sorento. If he had just asked for opinion about the car without reference to what he intends to tow with it, he would have got a less biased answer from everybody. After all, a Sorento is capable of towing pretty well any caravan on the market so there really isn't any need to give any further details.

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Lutz this has happened time and time again on this forum when the replies to a posters question have been polite and courteous and then Clive V will step in with all guns blazing sending the thread into disarray ending up with it being deleted, bizarre truly bizarre

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

If your looking at a Sorento look at the diesel, It is more economical and produces lot's of torque which is ideal for towing,as far as model XE,XS or XT it dependes what level of spec you want but they are all excellent tow car's. As far as Auto or Manual it makes very little diffrence and they are not as thirsty as some make out

Rob

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Darrel,

have you considered a Honda CR-V(diesel) or a Nissan X-Trail?? Both excellent for the job of towing, and in my opinion much better to drive solo than the Sorrento. My guess is that they'd hold their resale value better than the Kia aswell. With the new Crv on the way, theres some cracking deals out there.

Ricky does make a good point though,i would much rather have a car i can enjoy driving solo, and which is still capable of towing. A second hand BMW 3 or 5 series touring for example?

Gavin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CliveV, will you please stop following me around the forum harassing me, moderator please note.

I am merely offering my opinion as an experienced caravanner of many years standing.

Contrary to your "bigoted opinion" I am not an "anti" and I do believe that 4x4's have their place in society and I was merely asking the poster to consider the running costs of such a large vehicle.

I will not be bullied by you as you have bullied others and by calling me a "numpty on a mission" contravenes forum etiquette I do believe
So it is pure coincidence that EVERY time someone even mentions a 4x4 - their your are quoting "polution".

It's pathetic

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz this has happened time and time again on this forum when the replies to a posters question have been polite and courteous and then Clive V will step in with all guns blazing sending the thread into disarray ending up with it being deleted, bizarre truly bizarre
What is bizarre is your insistance that a 4x4 pollutes more than an equivalent sized saloon.

"Plus the day to day running costs of a Sorento which are pretty high, pollution etc"

Firstly running costs are not high on this vehicle, nor is it a high polluter compared to other vehicles?

So why do you try to make out that it is?

Your only problem with me is that I force you to admit that the facts are not as you would have them!

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site

I will repeat, will you please stop following me around the forum harassing me.

Get your facts right, I don't pop up quoting pollution every time 4x4's are mentioned, look through the towcar forum, anyway I don't need to the figures and data are there for anyone to see with a google facility.

So take your bigoted views elsewhere

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
see if this will sink in, it is a fact that a diesel powered 4x4 does a lot less MPG than your average diesel saloon car, I've tried to keep it simple for you so that you can grasp it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Darrell,

We bought a 04 plate XE auto diesel back in May with 10.5k on the clock. Towing 1500kg but will keep this vehicle long term and want something that could handle a heavier van in the future. For the money I would challenge anyone to find a better towcar. The auto box is a real gem with no searching and even on the steepest inclines (and we have a few up here in north yorkshire) I still have not seen the revs above 3000. Even though the XE is the base model it is still kitted out pretty well, and as Lol mentioned you can manually control the 4wd system. If you buy one of these you will not be disappoointed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
see if this will sink in, it is a fact that a diesel powered 4x4 does a lot less MPG than your average diesel saloon car, I've tried to keep it simple for you so that you can grasp it
So, what do you drive Ricky?

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
a Jaguar S Type (2.7 Diesel) best car I've ever owned

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have a VW Passat Estate which is an automatic and having drove manual all my life I would never go back. For driving solo its a pleasure and for towing it is great. Whatever I get next it will have to be an automatic.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED REPLY DUE TO HIS LORDSHIP TAKING EXTENDED LEAVE FOR ONE MONTH.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Really? An interesting choice for an eco warrior. I had you down for a Prius. Why such a large poluting car?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Lol for this exchange!!

Ricky Lionheart

19 Sep 2006 07:27 PM see if this will sink in, it is a fact that a diesel powered 4x4 does a lot less MPG than your average diesel saloon car, I've tried to keep it simple for you so that you can grasp it

Lol

19 Sep 2006 07:33 PM So, what do you drive Ricky?

Ricky Lionheart

19 Sep 2006 07:51 PM a Jaguar S Type (2.7 Diesel) best car I've ever owned

Lol

19 Sep 2006 08:37 PM Really? An interesting choice for an eco warrior. I had you down for a Prius. Why such a large poluting car?

What a laugh! I think the Td4 Freelander for one has lower emmissions. The new model certainly will.

As do vehicle like the CRV etc.

Amazing - truly amazing.

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
CliveV you are obviously having difficulty grasping this, in another life I was a primary school teacher so I will try to draw on my experience to make it a bit easier for you.

Let's do some roll play.

Try to imagine yourself back at primary school and you are sitting at the back of the class pulling the girls pig tails and playing with your rubber.

Now little Clive sit up look at the blackboard and LISTEN.

2 vehicles one a 4x4, the other a comparable saloon car

First car a 2.5 4x4, heavy body, heavy transmission etc = more fuel consumption = higher emissions = higher pollution.

Second car a 2.5 saloon car, lighter body etc = lower fuel consumption = lower emissions = lower pollution.

Do you understand that young Clive at the back?

NO?

2/10 see me

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
wow, i certainly did get some feedback and many thanks. like i said i'm new to caravanning so thinking about it Ricky maybe i am going overkill ? is my merc . more than adequate for the job ? or should i be thinking of a smaller and hopefully cheaper alternative as Gavin suggests bearing in mind that my missus will be driving this vehicle daily to and from work ? you certainly have given me a lot to consider .

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Richard, I've just fine tuned your figures.

2 vehicles one a 4x4, the other a comparable saloon car

First car a 2.5 4x4, heavy body, heavy transmission etc = more fuel consumption = higher emissions = higher pollution.=ability to tow large caravan with a safe margin on various surfaces with room for up to 7 passengers.

Second car a 2.5 saloon car, lighter body etc = lower fuel consumption = lower emissions = lower pollution.=rear of car overloaded with noise weight ,clutch burn when reversing twin axle onto pitch, nearer to max tow weight, not much good when it gets a bit muddy.

Let me know how many lines I'm getting.

I must not question teachers beliefs

Brian ;O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts