Petrol VW Tiguan tow test

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What the article confirms is that petrol cars will tow very well albeit with a much reduced fuel consumption whilst towing and solo. My last petrol tow car was a Saab 9000 2.3 high pressure turbo model which towed superbly but even solo I could never better mpg above 35-37 mpg.

For my next car I quite fancy the Superb 280 Estate with an uprated version of this 2.0 Tiguans engine. We tend to put most miles on our runabouts so mpg on the tow car isn’t a big driver for me.
I echo the articles views on slow speed manoeuvres with a DSG gearbox. Whilst they are excellent fior most driving actions having a couple of clutches rubbing together is never going to be as good as driving through a torque converter.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do need to try a few more petrol cars to get the full view of towing with them but the article does confirm they are viable. Basically you will need a few more revs and lower gears on hills and use a bit more fuel when towing. Towing is generally a modest proportion of your total driving so you have to way up all the pros and cons and try to anticipate the future before deciding which way to go. There is however a distinct shortage of decent petrol tow cars in many manufacturers ranges so you might need to search the market a bit more to find the best one for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If we think back to 1980/90s the majority of caravanners used petrol engined tow cars. And in many case those cars were the 1.6L to 2.0L family saloons producing no more than 80 to 100bhp. (I acknowledge there were several models that did exceed these figures). Even allowing for the probability that the caravans were also a bit lighter than todays, there can be no doubt that petrol fuelled cars are physical capable of towing.

Their power delivery characteristics were different, but they were not incapable of towing. So its not the fact the fuel was different, but the way the vehicles used the fuel that changed the tow cars characteristics.

We are now in a period where car manufacturers are under pressure to make vehicles more fuel efficient, this is generally being achieved by weight reductions, other fuel saving measures and turbo charging adn gear ratio changes. This now enables smaller capacity engines to produce more BHP per Cubic capacity. But compared to vehicles of the 80's a similar sized car is probably almost as heavy becasue of all the must have accessories stuffed into them. So we now have familiy cars similar in size to the old Ford Cortina's ford with 1.4L turbo petrol engines with better solo performance and comfort.

Fundamentally if a petrol vehicle is capable of producing the same BHP and torque figures all-be-it at different RPM as a diesel it will (subject to teh manufactures type approval testing) manage to pull an equivalent caravan. It may not be as relaxed but it will do it.

We have become very complacent about towing with diesels and that's because they do manage it with aplomb, but we may have to start becoming used to the higher revving petrol engines, or dare I say it hybrids and all electric.

It seems to me that Motty's experience of Tiguan is a prime example of the old accepted "diesel is best" adage can realistically be challenged when manufactures put their minds to it.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Except in reality the petrol still cannot challenge the diesel,because the best of the modern day diesel rated at 180 hp,the same as the tested VW produces well over 300lbsft of torque.That equates to 100 lbsft of torque and that's quite a difference.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
seth1 said:
Except in reality the petrol still cannot challenge the diesel,because the best of the modern day diesel rated at 180 hp,the same as the tested VW produces well over 300lbsft of torque.That equates to 100 lbsft of torque and that's quite a difference.

Cannot disagree with your point, but the article does make it clear that the 2.0 Tiguan petrol engine needs to rev higher. Against your figures it is only 70lbsft down not 100 lbs ft.It will always be thus. Comaperd to the equivalent VW diesel the difference is only 59lbft. But if change is coming then it would be unwise to rule out options that could be acceptable. One thing with modern petrols is that they are incredibly smooth and quite compared to even the good diesels so unless you have fixation on the rev meter and need to keep revs below 1800 rpm all of the time you actually don't notice the higher revs on a petrol, and its is quite an enjoyable drive feeling the seamless stream of torque coming in as you accelerate.

The time is on its way for the the bigger is better attitude to become more balanced. A good petrol turbo combined with a hybrid drive will dole out oodles of torque when its actually required.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I am a diesel fan, and will not be easily swayed from a diesel as a tow car, but in defence of this petrol engine, with all due respect, it does seem from reading these posts that the majority of negative comments seem to be made with a lack of fundamental understanding of power, torque ,engine RPM and their directly proportional relationship.

There are several comparisons of torque figures here, without any reference to engine speed, and so it would seem that some are quite comfortable with quoting and comparing torque and power figures without understanding what they actually mean.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
With respect most of us understand the difference between HP and torque.Its also been debated long and hard regarding gearing and torque curves and torque vs gearing vs speed.The problem is its quite hard to compare a petrol and diesel evenly.The test here was a 180hp/236lbsft petrol,to compare that to a diesel, Alfas latest 180hp diesel produces 322 lbsft of torque.To take it a step further VW produce a 280hp/258lbsft version of the engine.Clearly to compare at such high HP your in the realms of a 3 litre diesel which at this rating are producing 450 lbsft.Clearly up to the job none the less.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
seth1 said:
With respect most of us understand the difference between HP and torque.Its also been debated long and hard regarding gearing and torque curves and torque vs gearing vs speed.The problem is its quite hard to compare a petrol and diesel evenly.The test here was a 180hp/236lbsft petrol,to compare that to a diesel, Alfas latest 180hp diesel produces 322 lbsft of torque.To take it a step further VW produce a 280hp/258lbsft version of the engine.Clearly to compare at such high HP your in the realms of a 3 litre diesel which at this rating are producing 450 lbsft.Clearly up to the job none the less.

I’m afraid this post just emphasises my point even more !

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
My point is that whilst you seem to be quite happy to quote and compare power and torque figures relating to different engines and very quickly draw conclusions from these, the context of your posts leads me to doubt that you fully understand the meaning of either. My only concern with this is the potential that your posts may have to mislead others.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
So please expain your concerns a little better what exactly is your doubt.There is little point in making a statement as you have, if you cant back it up.As I previously said I'm all ears and willing to learn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts