Peugeot 307

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi i have a peugeot 307 16 hdi 90bhp 2006 i have a sprite exell 1996 450 we are thinking of going to france with this outfit although the caravan is around the 85% weight of my car im wondering if i am asking alot of the peugeot towing this far does anyone have any views on this does anyone else think i am asking to much off the peugeot .It doesnt sruggle towing our van and does behave very well put it is a little soft on the suspension and can tell the van is on .I look forward to hearing your views on this .

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Interesting that you tow with a 307, i have one that we don't tow with but i have considered getting a towbar fitted. What mpg do you get when towing and do you find it powerful enough.I have thought about chipping mine if we start using it as a towcar.
Our petrol Vitara is really thirsty when towing.

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi we went to france last year towing a folding camper it was a large camper weighing in just under 1000kg we did a 1,300 mile round trip and it pulled as if there was nothing on the back of it and returned 47mpg and i wasnt taking my time either .We have only done short jurneys with it with the van on and it performed very well it is a little soft on the suspension but had more than enough power to pull our van once we were on the motorway it pulled very well in fith gear and i never changed down once we didnt hit any really big hills though but there was a few hills and it coped really well .Fitting a tow bar on the 307 is very easy as well no drilling required just be carfull not to over tighten the bolts as a friend of mine did and the bolt snapped off and you need a relay for the electrics on these models depending on what year it is hope this helps .

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I wouldnt have thought it would be any different then towing to cornwall or scotland(depending were you live that is).Theres a bit of water in between but thats it.
Get both vehicles(if a caravan can be called that) properly serviced.I would be very particular on the servicing,especially the car.Sometimes your aswel to replace items like drive belts and certain hoses as a matter of course as time has a great part on detereating certain stuff.Join a good breakdown service,and enjoy it.

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks for your views i am a machanic by trade so the car will be well serviced before that i was a service tec for a caravan dealer so the van will be well serviced .We are only going to north france but we havent traveled any further than 40 miles with this van so just being a bit carfull cheers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Hazzar,

This is perhaps a little late but:

If the caravans weight is within the stated towing capacity of the car, then it will not over stress the car.

If it does over stress the car, then there is something wrong with the car, or the running gear of the caravan.

It seems that French cars in general tend to have relatively soft suspension, however and again if the weights and load are within specification, the suspension will be fully capable of handling the loads.

Of course you can tell when a car has a caravan on the rear, you have nearly doubled the all up weight the engine has to pull. Never believe anyone who says they cant tell when a car is pulling a caravan they are lying or are so incapable of assessing the behaviour of their car that I suspect the shouldn't be driving.

have fun, and drive carefully

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
just go careful, those psa engines love blowing the copper fire rings (injector wshers) and it makes them sound horrible, they tend to do it if hammered or carrying heavy loads

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts