Phantom Tracker

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
I asked in a Caravan dealers about this product and was told that your insurance company would tell you, who your local supplier was, you then contact them and they will come to you to fit this device. Is this information correct?

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allyson , I had mine fitted by the dealer before I picked the van up. Give Phantom a call an I'm sure they will point you towards your nearest fitter.

0870 7777 060

Brian

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Dealer was probably right, and I've posted this before.

Trackers fail and having one fitted will not stop your van being stolen as an associate found twice with his cars.

I've also seen that trackers in caravans have failed to, if the tracker does work ( it does happen ) after caravan has been stolen you are likely to get back a caravan you will not want to see or use again !

Don't expect the tracker company to tell you how many fail either.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sharon thnaks for the website we have looked also at the Bulldog RAC Trackerstar Plus.

Perhaps they will have them at the NEC Caravan show.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ihave a tracker fitted(phantom pro) and quite honestly have never heard of one failing nor as far as im aware have had any trouble with mine,in fact they have been astonishingly quick in response to my alarm going off,and believe me they can pinpoint it to a couple of metres. as far as not preventing your caravan from been stolen,nothing will deter the thief who is hell bent on stealing a caravan,car,whatever.most security devices are only a deterrent.the tracker however, is a device which will locate the stolen item quickly through global satellite positioning.if you don't have one fitted then you will all most certainly not get back the stolen item,and if you do, it probably will be of no use to you.therefore i personall think trackers are the only thing to fit if you want your stolen property back quickly and in one piece that is the way to go.as far as i know they have a 100% recovery rate

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Just a thought - thinking of doing this - Any views.

Old mobile phone, pay as you go SIM card and 12v charger.

Either connect via cigar lighter fitted somewher discreet or cut plug off and fit to a 12 v supply.

Leave the phone on silent and pop it in a hidden container.

There are tracking agencies that you can subscribe to if you want to keep an eye on the whereabouts of the van, but just supplying the number to the police should it get stolen should be enough.

When on the van make sure you use the phone occasionally to keep the SIM card active.

I believe this should work and that it should not discharge the battery if the battery is charged regularly.

Anyone spot any drawbacks?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
It sounds a good enough idea garry but the battery would fail pretty quickly due to overcharging and if it was an old phone with ni-cad batterys they would get memory fail and stop working through that, allso we have found that due to the construction of the van most mobile phone signals within the van itself are very low.

personally i would not have a tracker, the insurance companies dont make it worthwile with big enough discounts and having seen a recovered van that had been dragged through a field with the police in chase i would not want my van back.

Jul 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi the I am Mark and I work for Phantom. We fit nationwide at a location of your choice. just call 08707 777060 and ask for me if you want more info. For example we tend to recover in less than an hour and the vast majority of caravans recovered have not been entered as they are still in transit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used the hidden mobile phone method for a year and contracted to Verilocation.

Two major downsides:

1/. You have to know that your caravan has gone, mine was stolen whilst I was in France for 3 weeks.

2/. If you call the police they just give you a crime number and make no attempt to recover.

On my current caravan and my car, I have had Tracker Monitor fitted.

If either are stolen, Tracker detect their movement and telephone you to ensure that the movement is unauthorised.

They have my UK home number, my French landline number, and both of our mobile numbers.

Having verified that the movement is unauthorised, they deal with the police and are listened to.

When located they place a security guard with your caravan until you can collect it.

I know that Phantom provide a similar service and are also listened to by the police.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
With a tracker the van might be a bit damaged,which is replacable,but what about all the personnal stuff which is ireplacable you stand a good chance of recovering this stuff.After having my van stolen getting a new van was the easy bit,getting the other stuff was awful and still finding out about bits and pieces that i thought i had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts