Swift Door Mechanism

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Prior to any tow I always lock the van door with the key which obviously lifts the door handle on the inside and engages the two shoot bolts. However, whenever I stop for a break I check the van door and always find it unlocked. Whats going on?
It appears that the up and down 'jiggling' movement of the van during the journey slowly lowers the handle into its level / unlocked position. I'm convinced this is the cause of the handle lowering into its open position as the handle requires very little downwards pressure to unlock it and a speed hump or two would do the job. Has anyone else noticed this and if so did you find a fix?

Attachments

• Locked.jpeg
    Locked.jpeg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Unlocked.jpeg
    Unlocked.jpeg
    974.3 KB · Views: 4
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I think your theory is about right, but I wouldn't bother myself too much, no-one is going to get into your caravan whilst it's being towed.

Reactions: RogerL

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Interesting issue, we have the same mechanism but not experienced this.

I suppose it doesn't matter as long as you remember to check it is still locked if you stop and leave the caravan unattended.

I suppose locking is an extra safeguard against the door opening whilst underway but this would be a rare event, (though no doubt it has happened to someone).

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
Not had this problem although, it's a strange mechanism compared with the one on our previous Coachman. I found I had to learn 'closed and locked' on the Swift versus 'latched and locked-ish'.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We've had 7 Swift's with the same mechanism and never experienced this so it could well be a worn/faulty mechanism. Like you, I like the idea of the lock giving extra protection while towing so maybe a replacement would solve it? Probably won't be cheap though, nothing caravan-specific ever is!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts