Phone calls

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So far I have had 3 phone calls about my computer, they all say that my Internet provider has had complaints about my computer running slow. (this is NOT from my Internet provider).
The first phone call I just said I have not got a computer and he rang off.
The second one said the same and I asked him who is my provider, he rang off again.
The third phone call, I told him I worked as a computer engineer, and yes he rang off again.
He did say it was software problems and from his accent he was not English.
Any idea what it is all about ?
Reg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
If you are gullible,which you are obviously not, they ask you to go on a certain web site, they then "clone" all your personal details and then use all that info to fraud others, and maybe even spend your money.
Dont know if the explanation is 100% accurate but that is what I was told and you did the right thing,

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Someone I know got scammed on this. A random caller rang and said they had a problem with their computer but it could be solved for a cost and by pure coincidence, they did, so fell for it. The scammer actually managed to get the funds from their account.
smiley-yell.gif

If you get any unwanted calls, hang up, (or abuse them which is far more fun).
smiley-cool.gif
Personally, I have a fantastic whistle which sometimes I use, I also do a number of other things too which are equally pleasurable.
smiley-cool.gif

Thinking about it, how the hell would they actually know you had a problem anyway????

I had one numpty ring up and ask 'can you tell me who supplies your gas and electricity?'. That's exactly what he said. Cheeky sod. He got it both barrels.

My thinking is, this is my house, this is my phone line. I don't ask you to ring, so if you do, god help you.

Lisa
smiley-yell.gif
smiley-yell.gif
smiley-yell.gif

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Thats right,its a scam, if you do what they say they gain access to your computer and everything on it so that could be bank details etc. You did the right thing by ignoring it.
A good warning to everyone.

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The other version of this scam is that they inform you that you have a virus and if you give them remote access they will fix it free of charge. When remote access is granted they run a program that totally wrecks your computer - they then say the problem is worse than they thought but they can fix it for £150 pounds.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
My neighbour has had two calls recently, both claiming to be from BT telling her she had a virus and they could access her computer to fix it but they would charge her and they needed her payment details. She told them she didn't believe them that she had a virus or that they could fix it down a telephone line. After them doing their best to persuade her and naming the virus she told them that despite what they told her she still believed they were telling lies. They told her that if she gave them remote access to her computer they will prove it's true but she told them that she couldn't do that as she didn't own one.
Sometimes they will claim to be from Microsoft.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts