Pigtails for propane

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Have just collected my caravan from its annual service and have studied the Service Check Sheet which shows my current pigtail is now over 5 years old and should be replaced.
Quite happy to do that but has anyone used a stainless steel pigtail - instead of the usual "rubber" one - and are they worth the extra outlay?

Mike

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless you intend keeping the van for a very long time, the stainless pigtails are not worth the extra money.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had mine fitted last June by the engineer who serviced my van, and as he connected it to the bottle as well i have yet to run out of gas and undo the connection!!

as Damien said can be costly compared to rubber, but if and when I change the van it will be coming with me.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The metal braiding is for mechanical protection,the pigtail still has a rubber hose inside the braiding that perishes with time.
So unless the pigtail is used in an environment where it can be damaged I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a stainless steel one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
The metal braiding is for mechanical protection,the pigtail still has a rubber hose inside the braiding that perishes with time.
So unless the pigtail is used in an environment where it can be damaged I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a stainless steel one.

Hello Bertie
Just for your information the inner hose is never rubber as LPG will dissolve natural rubber. The actual hose is a nitrile based compound which is safe with LPG products.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I changed the hose on my daughter's BBQ a couple of weeks ago as it had badly faded in the sunlight and had gone quite stiff. I guess the hose was about 7 years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts