Pipeline fuel card - 5 to 10p litre discount?

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Came across this on my weekly email from the Money Saving Expert. Basically, it's a consumer bulk buying petrol consortium that promises everyone who signs up to the FREE card a discount.

According to the Pipelinecard website, they have an agreement with a national fuel retailer so long as they can get over 100,000 people to sign up. This target has been exceeded and the cards are expected to be sent out in June.

It's worth a go especially as it doesn't cost anything.

www.pipelinecard.org

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Where do the figures of 5-10p come from?

According to their website they haven't concluded any negotiations yet so no discounts have been agreed or published.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
5 to 10p sounds a bit optimistic to me. I suspect that such a big saving is being mentioned just to increase interest and get more people to sign up.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
5 to 10p sounds a bit optimistic to me. I suspect that such a big saving is being mentioned just to increase interest and get more people to sign up.
That's a cynical view, Lutz, but I suspect you're correct!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
A saving of 10p per litre has now been mentioned on national ITV 3 news. This has been based on a scheme currently running in Holland. So sign up now and be part of an organisation that will have real clout against the fuel giants.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm still very sceptical about a potential saving as high as what's being mentioned. In view of the fact that the duty on a litre of petrol is about 47p, the petrol itself costs about 23p from the refinery, and VAT adds another 13p or so, that leaves less than a 10p margin for the retailer with whom Pipelinecard is negotiating. The retailer would therefore have to pass on the petrol for free in order to achieve a 10p saving for the motorist.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Today's ITV1 lunchtime news referred to a 3p/litre saving but by the early evening news this had increased to 4p!

Is this potential saving off the price of big brand name fuel or off supermarket fuel - there's a significant difference between the two despite supermarkets buying their fuel in bulk from the big brand companies.

I suppose that supermarkets already offer a bulk buy discount - it'll be interesting to see if Pipelinecard can match their prices - I somehow doubt it.

TRENDING THREADS