Pitching the awning- best method for ground sheet

Aug 3, 2020
Visit site
Setting off on our first caravan holiday soon. We bought a used van which came with an air awning and various ground sheets and carpet.

I need advice on how best to go about laying the flooring on hard standing and grass, I think the pitch we’re going to is hard standing but the next could be grass.

I have a very large breathable groundsheet which is rectangular and a good 12” bigger than the footprint of the awning. Then I have what seems to be a universal carpet/underlay which again is rectangular and slightly bigger than the awning. Lastly there is a set of fitted/shaped carpets which are clearly for the specific awning we have.

So am I right in thinking that the breathable sheet goes down first and pegged down flat, then perhaps the universal underlay/carpet if needed for extra cushioning and then pitch the awning on top leaving the underlay sticking out beyond the awning footprint.

Then peg the mud flaps of the awning down inside pegging through the ground sheet and then finally lay the fitted carpet.

ive got myself some 6” nails and washers for pegging down the ground sheet on hard standing and screw in tent pegs for the awning. We did go on a long weekend to try everything out and while I was fighting with the awning I heard a lot of noise from other visitors who were setting up, sounded like a hammer drill which I’m guessing they were using to drive in the pegs.

so is it the ‘norm’ to peg through the ground sheet which is sticking out outside the awning or do you try and fold/tuck it neatly inside? Our air awning is not a straight rectangle and curves in at the ends so the corners of the ground sheet stick out quite a bit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Normally set up awning first, then groundsheet inside and then peg down. We also use nails bought from Screwfix and washers for holding down awning and keeping groundsheet in place. Much better than those mushroom type pegs than bend when you look at them! :D

Replacement mushroom peg.jpg

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We always put the awning up first and sometimes we put a groundsheet down just depending what sites we go to there have this now Astro Turf

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The breathable sheet is to allow grass to breathe, so its use is predominantly on grass. Putting anything over it will defy that breathing function, thus in time killing the grass and wrecking the pitch.

Ground sheets don't extend outside the awning, doing that will help route water into the awning, and make its edge look like a dart board surround. Fold it in or cut it to the right size.

On hard standings, what is needed is anything to minimise the roughness of the chips being felt, often achieved with limited success unless silly amounts of "stuff" is brought.

Depending on use, duration and health of the pitch, using a ground sheet is not essential, and some caring site owners don't even allow their use.
Other owners can require their lifting during the day, making having more than a light covering a lot of hassle.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We use perforated foam squares, and just decide how many we need to put down, if it is just for a couple of days we just use our air porch awning. If the weather is dry we don't use any groundsheets, same on hard standing, remember it is not compulsary to use everything you have.
Enjoy your trips away.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have a very large breathable groundsheet which is rectangular and a good 12” bigger than the footprint of the awning. Then I have what seems to be a universal carpet/underlay which again is rectangular and slightly bigger than the awning. Lastly there is a set of fitted/shaped carpets which are clearly for the specific awning we have

Wow.... sounds to me you need to take a carpet fitter with you. :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Sam Vimes, sounds a bit overkill.

Normally set up awning first, then groundsheet inside and then peg down. We also use nails bought from Screwfix and washers for holding down awning and keeping groundsheet in place. Much better than those mushroom type pegs than bend when you look at them! :D

Buckman, you can get steel variants of the mushroom pegs now, we have two boxes of them, and they are brilliant on hardstanding.

Blue Diamond Groundsheet Metal Pegs (case of 15) | Halfords UK

Walsie, dont cut you awning groundsheet to size, as has been said, just fold it under in an unobtrusive edge. There is a good reason for this in that depending on the ground, every time you put your awning up the footprint will differ slightly. Cutting the breathable exactly to size may see you fall short at some point. As has been said, the breathable is for grass, if you put anything over or under that, it stops becoming breathable and Herr Warden will not be too chuffed.

I once had to wait for my pitch in full view of a guy that totally killed the grass before us. He started by laying plastic sheet to keep the groundsheet clean, then a cushioned breathable sheet, then a carpet over that. Needless to say we had to suffer a stinking brown patch in our awning that just became mud as our holiday went on.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Depending on ground state, and thus the mess that might make of our awning, I frequently lay the ground sheet out first, positioned where the awning would initially be in the process of putting it up.
Both so I can unfurl it and orientate it for pushing the bead into the rail, all without picking up mud, grass cuttings, dried grass, oil from leaking sumps, etc.
Then, as the job proceeds to the correct stage, simply pull it that bit further into the corrected position.

Probably why both awnings, with extensive use over their 19 years, still look pretty good.
Yes, I have found black sump oil on pitches and the filthy remains of overflowing grey waste.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman, you can get steel variants of the mushroom pegs now, we have two boxes of them, and they are brilliant on hardstanding.

Blue Diamond Groundsheet Metal Pegs (case of 15) | Halfords UK
Thanks for the heads up. Although look a lot nicer our Screwfix ones did not come with a fancy box, but the cost us less than a fiver for 50 which we shared with BIL so 25 each. When you peg down awning skirts and also skirt along caravan I think you may need more than 15? :D

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah you see, I dont peg the caravan skirt down all along its edge. I have my own method that I think works better. We have a length of elasticated cord that we feed through all the holes on the skirt (caravan) and just peg down at either end, I find the tension on the cord makes a neater job. We only use a porch nowadays, so we dont need so many pegs for the awning skirts. I only ever peg the Bolon Carpet at the door, the rest is loose laid, it never moves anyway. For extra room we use the tall annex, but as a door and storage. That way, we get almost all the space of the full awning, but only when we need that much.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use perforated foam squares, and just decide how many we need to put down, if it is just for a couple of days we just use our air porch awning. If the weather is dry we don't use any groundsheets, same on hard standing, remember it is not compulsary to use everything you have.
Enjoy your trips away.
We also found perforated foam squares were great .when we were seasonal

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ah you see, I dont peg the caravan skirt down all along its edge. I have my own method that I think works better. We have a length of elasticated cord that we feed through all the holes on the skirt (caravan) and just peg down at either end, I find the tension on the cord makes a neater job. We only use a porch nowadays, so we dont need so many pegs for the awning skirts. I only ever peg the Bolon Carpet at the door, the rest is loose laid, it never moves anyway. For extra room we use the tall annex, but as a door and storage. That way, we get almost all the space of the full awning, but only when we need that much.
I am guessing that you do not have two escape artists disguised as Yorkshire Terriers? LOL! :D

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Ah you see, I dont peg the caravan skirt down all along its edge. I have my own method that I think works better.

Somewhat similar, I lay my two veranda poles on the windward side, on the ground sheet over skirt, when not deployed for their intended task.
Basically knowing if they are needed to stop the wind lifting the skirt, there is little chance we would like a veranda rail up!

I also have a few decades old stock of "mushrooms" I selectively use, but my stock is progressively being depleted through aging attrition.

Those Halford's "nails" look a nice alternative.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am guessing that you do not have two escape artists disguised as Yorkshire Terriers? LOL!

Heck no. When we had dogs we used to take two Bullmastiffs caravanning. If they went under the awning, it went with them.

Reminds me of an incident at Cirenccester CC site. For those that know it, it is surrounded by schools and very often the kids would take a shortcut through the site and very often cause problems. One day we had both been for showers when this happened and these kids had been rolling aquarolls away down the slopes and unpegging awnings. We found on ours only one peg half pulled, as the cuplrit had clearly seen what fate had awaited him had he pulled the peg out fully.

Oscar at a local centre rally at the Hurt Arms, Derbyshire
7e45e4cc-6acd-41f9-a302-c75381abce14.JPG

And Eric, the baby of the pair.
5246146c-1965-4358-ac72-136649144046.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ and otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Heck no. When we had dogs we used to take two Bullmastiffs caravanning. If they went under the awning, it went with them.

Reminds me of an incident at Cirecncester CC site. For those that know it, it is surrounded by schools and very often the kids would take a shortcut through the site and very often cause problems. One day we had both been for showers when this happened and these kids had been rolling aquarolls away doen the slopes and unpegging awnings. We found on ours only one peg half pulled, as the cuplrit had clearly seen what fate had awaited him had he pulled the peg out fully.

Oscar at a local centre rally at the Hurt Arms, Derbyshire
7e45e4cc-6acd-41f9-a302-c75381abce14.JPG

And Eric, the baby of the pair.
5246146c-1965-4358-ac72-136649144046.jpg
Must have made a large dent in caravan or car payload either way. Nice dogs though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
May 24, 2014
Visit site
As i mentioned, i only peg the groundsheet in the doorway. For that I use the Isabella Bolon grips. They lay nice and flat and you dont keep stubbing your toe on them.

Camping international doing the steel mushrooms for 5.99 for 15.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As i mentioned, i only peg the groundsheet in the doorway. For that I use the Isabella Bolon grips. They lay nice and flat and you dont keep stubbing your toe on them.

Camping international doing the steel mushrooms for 5.99 for 15.
I saw that but with postage takes it over £10. We do have the Bolon grips and they are very helpful it keeping the awning in place however the issue is when the wind is blowing hard it goes under the groundsheet and lifts it hence the reason for numerous pegs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts