Plastic Window coming apart !! HELP

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Has anybody had the inner and outer plastic window pieces come apart. I can now lift open the front large center window, leaving the inner still locked from the inside. Any ideas re a suitable glue/cement to reseal the two parts together.

thanks

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Your caravan window will either have been constructed from Acrylic or Polycarbonate plastic - and will probably have been ultrasonically welded together.

if your window is Acrylic (most likely), you can either use a solvent cement like WeldON #3 - try a fishtank shop - or a two part superglue. I don't have a reference for the two part superglue - but it needs to be a "low fume" type otherwise the windows can go "frosty"

If it's polycarbonate - then the same two part superglue is the only solution.

The glue join must be clean and grease free - Iso-Propyl Alcohol (IPA) is good.

Robert

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Robert, How has the araldite held up on your window. I have just bought some 2026 to do mine. After all the internet research I've done It is not the best glue to use but the proper stuff is unavailable to the general public.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Robert, How has the araldite held up on your window. I have just bought some 2026 to do mine. After all the internet research I've done It is not the best glue to use but the proper stuff is unavailable to the general public.
Hi, well it is some weeks now and we have travelled well over a 1000 miles in all types of weather and the windows are still good, on the internet site it does state this 2026 is the right one to use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning all - the original thread and discussion on this subject was (at the moment) page 17 dated 19th April entitled Front Window Delamination. regards - John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,we are in East Sussex but did you know that you have to buy the nozzles as they can only be used once and cannot be cleaned out.However i still want to keep the gun as there is plenty of adhesive left after doing the window plus if one window has gone it would be prudent to have gun available ,sorry mate but good luck in doing job.
Thanks Robert - I thought that would be the case! One nozzle was supplied with the adhesive which I bought via RS Components. The applicator gun can't be that complicated so I'm going to have a go at making one up! I'll let you know how I get on. Delamination of windows must be quite a common problem when one examines the construction and the manner in which the windows are locked shut, considerable stress is placed on the adhesive. Regards - John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am re-posting thia as a "Reply To Topic" because I didn't realise that "comments" do not show up as a new posting on the main Technical index - we live and learn!

Thanks Robert - I thought that would be the case! One nozzle was supplied with the adhesive which I bought via RS Components. The applicator gun can't be that complicated so I'm going to have a go at making one up! I'll let you know how I get on. Delamination of windows must be quite a common problem when one examines the construction and the manner in which the windows are locked shut, considerable stress is placed on the adhesive. Regards - John

TRENDING THREADS