Please do not try and justify dogs!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
It's not illegal to transport them as long as it is in a secure manner. Which it is. And I'm not sure but last time I checked there were a LOT of Range Rovers on the roads. Doesn't identify mine.
No fried bread thanks, gives me gas.
smiley-embarassed.gif
As for the locks, well someone has to keep the keys and just because some people don't like the way I look after my dogs does not make me unfit.
Anyway, so far off topic it's nuts. You started this thread with your opinion that dogs are not welcome on caravan sites. There is the argument that some people give which says that all dogs should be on leads. I don't agree. I know how to take care of my dogs and so do the vast majority of dog owners. If the dog is unpredictable in a given set of circumstances then the owner will know this and take appropriate measures. Those who don't are easily identified by Car reg, CC membership number (or C&CC) etc so they can be warned or subsequently banned if they cause a nuisance. They can also be prosecuted if they allow their pet to display aggression or cause a nuisance. There's already plenty of rules to take care of the problem ones.
The trouble comes when authorities (of any description) try to legislate for the minority; the majority suffer and it rarely makes any difference. A bit like firearms licencing after Dunblane or Hungerford, just lots more red tape for legitimate ones and no reduction in the amount of unlicenced ones. Or making all knives illegal, something which means farm workers who use a pocket knife for everyday tasks are now criminals if they step off their farm with it in their pocket. Is there any less knife crime?
My point is simple, the rules about keeping your dog on a lead at all times is the same, a knee jerk reaction to popular hysterics about dogs. It doesn't stop the incessant yapping from some, the snappyness (word?) of others or the downright disobedience shown by some dogs. And guess what, my dogs are none of those things. If they were I wouldn't take them with me. Most people don't even realise I actually have dogs with me.
Who was it said that rules are for the guidance of the wise and the blind obedience of a fool? The underlying guidance with this rule, i.e. the intended outcome, was that dog owners should not allow the presence of their dog to impact upon the enjoyment of others, for example, by allowing it to foul the site, by allowing it to yap all day and night, by letting it display aggression and by letting it run free to steal food etc from other peoples' caravans. Well my boys don't do any of those things. Dog owners who do allow their pets to impact the ejoyment of others should be asked to leave the site, simple. In just the same way, MOG's who pitch next to the playground and then promptly complain about the kids making a noise should be invited to leave as well.
Despite the rather vocal mutt-erings (i'll get my coat) of the few, caravanning attracts a lot of dog owners and there are going to be dogs on sites for the foreseeable future. Not all dogs are the same so there has to be room for something called discretion and common sense. Generalisation and stereotyping don't really work as those trying to implement the Dangerous Dogs Act will attest.
Right, off to bed.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey TC, well you can't help being Female and neither can SWMBO (She who must be obeyed, AKA "The Wife") and there's nothing wrong with being neurotic either. It's fine to treat a dog like a human as long as you understand what that leads to......dogs sleep in the kitchen here, not on my bed. (despite SWMBO being as soft as you)
My boys provide many things to us but also are usually a source of amusement for kids on sites. They're astounded that dogs can do the things that a working dog can do, such as "fetch" a sausage or chicken wing without eating it, or some of the flyball things I do with them.
Yes, Victor is a fine person and everything I aspire to be
smiley-cool.gif
, well perhaps not.
smiley-undecided.gif
(he doesn't seem to frequent a pub at all)
Clays can't shoot back as far as I'm aware, sorry about that.
smiley-embarassed.gif

But yes, we all own these confounded money pit things and the majority seem to be pet owners too. That'll be 2 expensive hobbies then, 3 if you count shooting and 4 if you count having a wife. Crikey, 5 with kids, 6 with the local boozer, this really isn't getting any better. Think I'll have to give up curry.
Dom.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have always had dogs and we have trained ours to a very high standard. My current dog will only jump up on the seats if we tell him to. If he nudges the door that means he wants a drink, if he brings you a shoe it means walkies and the loo.
Regardless of how good he is we always have him on a lead when people are about.
Training is not only applicable to dogs but also to their owners.
Our previous wardens used to leave their dog out loose 24/7. I have photographic evidence of their mut raiding our awning and nicking our dog's food at 3am!!! I showed the pic to the warden and he couldn't give a monkey's.
Fortunately there has now been a change of wardens at my site and the new ones lead by example (ie, their dog is on it's lead at all times on site). I do applaude those who lead from the front as opposed to barking from behind.
While I'm not afraid to "educate" people who don't know how to behave and how to control their dogs, it isn't recomended to everyone, unless like me you've had appropriate training.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mrs Robinson said:
Dear Moderators
Please can we have a separate forum for Dog and/or Dog Fights? Or at least a Dog Free Forum.

I wish......
rolleyes.gif

Only kidding, the fact is that many caravanners own dogs because caravanning is a dog friendly hobby but there are always differences of opinion between dog lovers and those not keen on dogs, or to be more accurate,those not keen on irresponsible dog owners. Many of those who rightly condemn these irresponsible dog owners have dogs themselves and as in all things, the minority of irresponsible or lazy owners cause problems for the majority of those who obey the rules.
Occasionally a flame baiter pops up on forums and starts calling people names and trying to stir up trouble (they usually disappear fairly quickly
smiley-wink.gif
) but there's nothing wrong with reasoned debate or a reasonably polite exchange of opinion between members on an internet forum.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LB
Many thanks for your best wishes.
It's been a real roller coaster ride for the last five months. It all started with his operation when I saw you back at Easter. The weight loss was phenominal but thank God it's all over now. However I shall miss him on all our caravan trips.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mrs Robinson said:
Dear Moderators
Please can we have a separate forum for Dog and/or Dog Fights? Or at least a Dog Free Forum.

I bet you've read every post Mrs Robinson and please don't try and tell me that DomDom had his gun to your head forcing you
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dom Dom
Thanks for all your info. Sometimes it's important to remember what the OP was all about.
Kelvin cogently summed up the "rules" aspect and I cannot add anymore than that.
My Springers are Badgercourt, Rytex, Edgrove mix, the finest ESS working strain you can get. They are fully trained on springing and retrieving and I have to say one of them is a real mole digger. They respond to voice , three languages ( partly fun), the Acme 210 1/2 whistle and hand signals.
The fact is on a CC site it is mandatory a dog is on a lead. There are not and cannot be any exceptions to this very simple rule.
If it is causing you a problem please feel free to write to both the main clubs and let us know on here what they say??

You will see from my signature what I think about dog owners.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
The fact is on a CC site it is mandatory a dog is on a lead. There are not and cannot be any exceptions to this very simple rule.
If it is causing you a problem please feel free to write to both the main clubs and let us know on here what they say??

Spot on DD.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Mrs Robinson said:
Dear Moderators

I bet you've read every post Mrs Robinson and please don't try and tell me that DomDom had his gun to your head forcing you
smiley-smile.gif
It's worse than that Lord B
Look carefully at Mrs R's avatar, DomDom must have tied the feet of her stockings together
smiley-surprised.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts