Please help us!!!!!!!!

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
We are completly new to the caravan scene,and cant wait to get going but..... We have just bought a second hand Sprite musketeer XL wewere told its96/97 model????, It does needa little work butweare completly clueless in what we need!!!! Do we need an AQUAROLL for water, if so how do we connect it??? Also what isawater hog? are these only for toilets or they need for sinks to???? If any one can spareany advice it would be greatly apprechiated.... Thanks Jo xx

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
hi jo, you dont have to buy an aquaroll or waste water hog at first, you can make do with cheaper containers. not sure about the pump, you might have an inboard pump. if not, you will need a pump that fits into a socket on the outside somwhere. but there are different ones, so need to check. the water hog or what ever you use, is for waste from sinks. ray

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
hi jo, you dont have to buy an aquaroll or waste water hog at first, you can make do with cheaper containers. not sure about the pump, you might have an inboard pump. if not, you will need a pump that fits into a socket on the outside somwhere. but there are different ones, so need to check. the water hog or what ever you use, is for waste from sinks. ray
Oh right i see. How can i tell if we have an onboard pump? Will it be under the seats near the outside water connector? Thanks Ray. x

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
Oh right i see. How can i tell if we have an onboard pump? Will it be under the seats near the outside water connector? Thanks Ray. x
hi jo, it could be anywere really. just follow the pipes and see if you can see one. does the outside conecter have two pins at the top or the side. if you can see it from inside, is there cables going to it?. ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo,

Not withstanding Raymond's help, it is really difficult to accurately visualise through a forum what you have got and what you may be missing.

I think you might find it more productive and certainly quicker to have someone who has been caravanning before to visit you and review your caravan and needs,

Caravan dealers can of course do this but you may be better with a more impartial source such as a relative that caravans, or perhaps a friendly neighbour with a caravan.

I'm assuming you did not buy this from a dealer, but being 13/14 years old, some of the appliances (especially the gas ones) may need to be checked and serviced, if for nothing else your safety, That is job for a competent gas fitter as you will hopefully find at your local caravan dealer.

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jo,

Not withstanding Raymond's help, it is really difficult to accurately visualise through a forum what you have got and what you may be missing.

I think you might find it more productive and certainly quicker to have someone who has been caravanning before to visit you and review your caravan and needs,

Caravan dealers can of course do this but you may be better with a more impartial source such as a relative that caravans, or perhaps a friendly neighbour with a caravan.

I'm assuming you did not buy this from a dealer, but being 13/14 years old, some of the appliances (especially the gas ones) may need to be checked and serviced, if for nothing else your safety, That is job for a competent gas fitter as you will hopefully find at your local caravan dealer.
Thanks John No we did not buy our van from a dealer it was a private sale, the seller was very unclear when showing us the caravan and with us not knowing really what to look for!!!! didnt help, as for the gaswe havea corgi enginer coming to look at this for us, Thanks for your help, Jo. x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
hi jo, it could be anywere really. just follow the pipes and see if you can see one. does the outside conecter have two pins at the top or the side. if you can see it from inside, is there cables going to it?. ray
Hi Ray, Yes there are pins on the outside and looking at it from the inside the are cables going into it, does this mean we have a pump???? Thaks forall your help Ray. Jo x

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jo

As Prof. John said it can be difficult to visualise descriptions of various items needed to manage the water and waste systems.

It might help if you browse an online catalogue such as Towsure so that you can see for yourself the various items that are mentioned.

Many of these are also available second hand from online auction websites or Preloved where used items are advertised at fixed prices.

Waterhogs or Wastemasters (they are similar items) are not to be used for toilets, the toilet waste goes into the container of a cassette toilet and can only be emptied at a designated Elsan point on campsites or rally fields.

The clean water enters the caravan through a flexible pipe and pump, these should be supplied with your caravan.

The grey waste water exits the caravan via waste outlets on the offside or rear of the caravan, flexible pipe available from caravan accessory stores is used to connect the waste outlet to the water hog.

There is some good information for new caravanners Here

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
standard water containers can be used and they are usually quite inexspensive.

I would suggest popping int to your nearest dealers accessory shop.

For waste water i use a black plastic jerry can shaped can and for fresh water a green water hog roller / barrel shaped container for fresh water.

you will nedd a hook up cable if you intend use 240v on site, again shop around as prices can vary from place to place.

Aquarolls can be expensive but the name as become generic for a rolling water container ( a bit like hoover became generic for vacuum cleaners)

aqualroll " brigade .. there are much cheaper alternatives.

spend a bit of time perusing the internet and the commercial sites. a really good place to look at whats available is fleabay.

search for aquaroll, water hog, water porter or simply caravan accessories and you can see all the items ou may want and get a good idea of prices.

Some items are used and that upt to you , many others are new of course but its a good place to get the basic information you need as its all on one site.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Jo

This book by John Wickersham is invaluable, & i suggest that you buy a copy.....

You will find all sorts of informative & easy to understand information, & it will fit in the car glove box...

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jo

As Prof. John said it can be difficult to visualise descriptions of various items needed to manage the water and waste systems.

It might help if you browse an online catalogue such as Towsure so that you can see for yourself the various items that are mentioned.

Many of these are also available second hand from online auction websites or Preloved where used items are advertised at fixed prices.

Waterhogs or Wastemasters (they are similar items) are not to be used for toilets, the toilet waste goes into the container of a cassette toilet and can only be emptied at a designated Elsan point on campsites or rally fields.

The clean water enters the caravan through a flexible pipe and pump, these should be supplied with your caravan.

The grey waste water exits the caravan via waste outlets on the offside or rear of the caravan, flexible pipe available from caravan accessory stores is used to connect the waste outlet to the water hog.

There is some good information for new caravanners Here
Many thanks, for all your info it has been a great help. Thanks again. Jo x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
standard water containers can be used and they are usually quite inexspensive.

I would suggest popping int to your nearest dealers accessory shop.

For waste water i use a black plastic jerry can shaped can and for fresh water a green water hog roller / barrel shaped container for fresh water.

you will nedd a hook up cable if you intend use 240v on site, again shop around as prices can vary from place to place.

Aquarolls can be expensive but the name as become generic for a rolling water container ( a bit like hoover became generic for vacuum cleaners)

aqualroll " brigade .. there are much cheaper alternatives.

spend a bit of time perusing the internet and the commercial sites. a really good place to look at whats available is fleabay.

search for aquaroll, water hog, water porter or simply caravan accessories and you can see all the items ou may want and get a good idea of prices.

Some items are used and that upt to you , many others are new of course but its a good place to get the basic information you need as its all on one site.
Thank you for all your info, it has been a great help as we are totally novices!!!! Thanks again Jo. x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Jo

This book by John Wickersham is invaluable, & i suggest that you buy a copy.....

You will find all sorts of informative & easy to understand information, & it will fit in the car glove box...
Yer thanks for that we will do. Jo x

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo - it might also be worth finding out about your local Freecycle group. We have a good one here, and you can put on a 'Wanted' advert for anything you need, and may find that someone generous is giving something away. We've given away a leisure battery, which was fine, but not just on top of being reliable enough for our new motor mover, and a caravan step which was the one we had before the one we've got now. It's a great way of getting stuff you need, and giving away stuff you don't!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My suggestion would be to make contact with the local section of one of the two big clubs - you can easily get the address of the local secretary on-line or by asking the club HQ. Then explain your problem and see if there is an experienced member in your locality who would be prepared to come and have a chat one evening and answer your questions. Most experienced caravanners are only too willing to get someone else hooked !

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I don't wish to scare you but please follow previous advice and at least have gas system checked. We caught up with some old friends recently who had bought an oldish van (private sale) and the first time they used it were engulfed in a fireball. Badly burned but amazingly survived.

Bill D.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Damian, get a service guy to give the van a service and I'm sure he will answer all your other questions while he's there.

One other thing not mentioned is tyres, caravan tyres never wear out but nevertheless need changing when they become to old?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts