Please stay safe guys ...

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
We travelled back from a CL site near Scotch Corner this afternoon. It was drizzly and windy when we set off, but due to high winds, rain and patches of standing water, I was down to 40MPH on parts of the A66 between Bowes and Brough. Challenging conditions to say the least.

Not wanting to patronise, but having enjoyed such great weather recently, a testing reminder of just how much difference it makes to the whole dynamic when nature suddenly plays around with a few of the variables one day.

Fortunately, all other caravanners seemed to be being just as cautious.

Please stay safe ! - it doesn’t matter how long the journey takes.

Ic.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
And lets not forget how slippy the roads become when it rains after prolonged hot weather. When tarmac starts to release its oils and this mixes with water, it can be lethal.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Absolutley Thingy. Although as previously mentioned, the main issues on my journey were the very high blustery winds, and standing water. The amount of rainfall actually caused me to feel the tread depth on the car tyres before I set off. Something I very seldom do in the summer, apart from the periodic check to make sure that they’re legal, which unfortunately seems to be the only reason people replace car tyres, myself included. Today’s journey has certainly made food for thought though ...

Especially in summer, I’ve never been concerned with the tread depth as long as they are above the minimum legal limit, being on a modern, well maintained car and with responsible driving. However, considering the sudden changes in direction of the significant forces at play when the van’s being blown from side to side in blustery cross-winds, it may well be just that extra millimetre or two of tread depth that prevents aquaplaning when ploughing through standing water, especially considering that there is less vertical force on the front axle when towing, despite of course being within the noseweight limit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Absolutley Thingy. Although as previously mentioned, the main issues on my journey were the very high blustery winds, and standing water. The amount of rainfall actually caused me to feel the tread depth on the car tyres before I set off. Something I very seldom do in the summer, apart from the periodic check to make sure that they’re legal, which unfortunately seems to be the only reason people replace car tyres, myself included. Today’s journey has certainly made food for thought though ...

Especially in summer, I’ve never been concerned with the tread depth as long as they are above the minimum legal limit, being on a modern, well maintained car and with responsible driving. However, considering the sudden changes in direction of the significant forces at play when the van’s being blown from side to side in blustery cross-winds, it may well be just that extra millimetre or two of tread depth that prevents aquaplaning when ploughing through standing water, especially considering that there is less vertical force on the front axle when towing, despite of course being within the noseweight limit.

You are more likely to experience aquaplaning conditions in summer than in winter, due to the intensity of summer downpours. Some countries require tyres to be changed at 3mm legal limit. I always have changed mine at 3mm. Even at that depth there will be some degradation of tyre wet performance but its certainly times better than going down to 1.6mm. After having ridden motor bikes for years and come off numerous times I know how precarious is your link between machine and tarmac even when things look good. Modern tyres are many times better than the tyres of yesteryear, But cars are faster and corner quicker, yet driver reaction times wont have changed :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But cars are faster and corner quicker, yet driver reaction times wont have changed :(

For me Clive, the older I get the better I was :whistle:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Now I have retired and no longer investigate accidents, then please stay safe. as I no longer have to rely on you getting it wrong. If the weather is bad, I can only say book another day, I know you might need to get back for work or whatever, but you life and property comes first. If the weather is borderline, my suggestion is to make sure you know of a suitable site you can stop off if you find things too hairy. We have done this twice in the past.
I assume the weather was on Sunday, we were on site at Stockton and went to try the food festival at Saltburn which is run by my niece. That had to be cancelled because of forty mile an hour winds forecast which to me is way beyond safe towing.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Now I have retired and no longer investigate accidents, then please stay safe. as I no longer have to rely on you getting it wrong. If the weather is bad, I can only say book another day, I know you might need to get back for work or whatever, but you life and property comes first. If the weather is borderline, my suggestion is to make sure you know of a suitable site you can stop off if you find things too hairy. We have done this twice in the past.
I assume the weather was on Sunday, we were on site at Stockton and went to try the food festival at Saltburn which is run by my niece. That had to be cancelled because of forty mile an hour winds forecast which to me is way beyond safe towing.

Yes, it was on Sunday Ray. Like I said, I was down to 40MPH on the A66 and was still feeling the gusts. Even worse were the Home Bargains Megatrailer wagons rattling past coming back down the M6 towards Lancaster :woohoo:

Although having said that, after the shock of the first one, the others did seem to be courteously moving over as far to the right as possible to create as large a gap as possible between ourselves as they passed.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We weren't far from you as we were going to leave on Sunday afternoon with the rain getting heavier but I was not sure if I woulda been able to get off the field ! Luckily Monday, the wind dried it a bit & with a bit spin got away !! But that A66 is probably the worst Road to be on in a slight breeze never mind 4o mph gusts !!

Craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts