Plymouth docks

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Is it just me or does anyone else find the route from the ferry to border control taxing especially if you are piloting a caravan and have been placed in the right hand lane? A couple of very tight corners there and you can’t give yourself room because of traffic in the left lane.
F

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know what you mean, we came back through Plymouth 2 weeks ago and luckily were put in the left hand lane, the whole experience of going out and coming back via Plymouth has put us off the place, admittedly it was pouring with rain when we left but the route through the city centre is not particularly well signposted, and dodging bus lanes etc with the van on the back was challenging. We only chose Plymouth/Roscoff because it left us closer to our site once we got to France, will use Portsmouth which is nearer to us in England next time, St Malo out and Caen back, all easier to navigate than Plymouth.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never taken a caravan via Plymouth docks but I can see what you mean having used a car ferry from there. Having lived in Plymouth I know the various routes out of the city to the A38 but the principal one isn’t good for anything.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Next time it’s going to be Portsmouth to St Malo. Given up with Plymouth far too unfriendly for caravaners.
F
We used the Plymouth to Santander ferry and we were towing a twin axle. This was back in 2018. I do not recall any issues either arriving or leaving.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Okay great, good for you. I personally found getting to and from the A38 across town hard going. The port itself is poorly laid out regarding caravans and larger motor homes making life difficult with narrow landing and tight corners. I would think to make flow easier caravaners etc could possibly follow the HGV route out?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Okay great, good for you. I personally found getting to and from the A38 across town hard going. The port itself is poorly laid out regarding caravans and larger motor homes making life difficult with narrow landing and tight corners. I would think to make flow easier caravaners etc could possibly follow the HGV route out?

i thought you referring to the dockyard only. Yes geeting tot eh port is a realy hassle as IMHO it is not clearly marked. Same when arriving at the port and leaving to connect to the motorway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Chaps, you are forgetting that you are so far west in Devon you are virtually in Cornwall and in the Deep South west things are done differently. It’s akin to some form of Dexit.
But once you get used to the local ways it’s a lovely area to live and work, apart from when the grockles arrive.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used Portsmouth a few times and getting there is always a bit of a challenge although we have never had any trouble once there although it does seem to be a fairly long trip through the dock.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have used Portsmouth a few times and getting there is always a bit of a challenge although we have never had any trouble once there although it does seem to be a fairly long trip through the dock.
Compared to Plymouth Portsmouth is very simple as the entrance to the ferry port is just to the west of the city and you do. not have to traverse the city itself. Coming back to UK its a delight as you are almost straight onto the motorway network for all directions without having to go into Portsmouth.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Compared to Plymouth Portsmouth is very simple as the entrance to the ferry port is just to the west of the city and you do. not have to traverse the city itself. Coming back to UK its a delight as you are almost straight onto the motorway network for all directions without having to go into Portsmouth.

Next time we travel to Spain we will probably use Portsmouth instead of Plymouth. As you say Portmouth definiteley easier to access than Plymouth where you have to drive through the town and negotiate numerous roundabouts.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know I am diverting the thread a little, but the entry to Red Funnel ferry from Southampton to the Isle of White is fine but the return once you get to Southampton to go North is a shambles.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm sure the city planners after Plymouth was devastated in WWII would have been delighted to have the foresight that Millbay would become a ferry port, and that they could have included the appropriate access in the 50's. As a kid in the early 60's I can still remember visiting Plymouth by train, and the building site that existed walking down to the city centre.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I know I am diverting the thread a little, but the entry to Red Funnel ferry from Southampton to the Isle of White is fine but the return once you get to Southampton to go North is a shambles.

Hutch......you went the wrong way!
The main route out of Southampton from the Red Funnel terminal is a combination of dual carriage way or motorway and is the same route used by port traffic from one of the biggest ports in the world.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We're going to use the Plymouth crossing in four weeks' time. I'll see how we get along with a left hand drive outfit and an 8m caravan then.

Just be very careful leaving the port as we missed a turning on a roundabout due to poor signage and ended going down a narrow main road which eventually took us to the motorway. I think I was in the wrong lane to turn right at roundabout and did not want to cut across busy traffic during rush hour.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just be very careful leaving the port as we missed a turning on a roundabout due to poor signage and ended going down a narrow main road which eventually took us to the motorway. I think I was in the wrong lane to turn right at roundabout and did not want to cut across busy traffic during rush hour.
I understand that the biggest problem is getting away from the docks and heading for the A38, but we are only going to use Plymouth on the outward journey. Our return will be by land with no ferry crossing involved.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I understand that the biggest problem is getting away from the docks and heading for the A38, but we are only going to use Plymouth on the outward journey. Our return will be by land with no ferry crossing involved.
I am confused as I assumed you would be coming from the continent therefore it woudl be inward to Plymouth? Returning to continent using Eurotunnel?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm coming in via Calais-Dover and going out via Plymouth-Santander.
Now really confused as how would you return to the continent without a ferry crossing as per your earlier post which is why I thougt you were using the Eurotunnel? Perhaps I misunderstood. Obviously from Spain to your home there is no ferry crossing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
OK, to make it quite clear, I'm leaving home on the Continent, driving to Calais to catch the ferry to Dover. We'll be touring in England before taking the Plymouth-Santander ferry. After spending the autumn in Spain we will return home by road via France.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like it's a good thing we're not going back the way we came - via Dover :confused_old:
What hasn’t been widely reported is that it’s not unusual to have a 2 hr queue in Calais waiting to return to Dover. Reportedly due to Border Force booths not being fully manned. In addition HMG have once again deferred the final import checks into 2023 despite industry spending millions preparing for them. Reason? To help to keep the rising cost of living down. 😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts