Pneumatic jockey tyre

May 4, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my standard plastic jockey wheel with a pneumatic tyre, as on soft grass it creates a trench (100 kg nose weight) .

Does anyone know if I will be a able to use the existing jockey pole (standard alko) or would I need to buy the whole thing?

ReverendJT

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A pneumatic tyre has its problems. They puncture , deflate. Tried it once and binned it. You can buy wider solid rubber wheels . They do the job perfectly imo.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Measure the distance between the arms that hold the wheel and compare to what you are looking for.

For very slight increase in width of arms they can be bent outwards a little, otherwise it means a new assembly.

May 4, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for all of the advice. I'll make sure I measure.

I take the point about punctures but I'm not so sure about the soft wider ones either as my non-soft current one has only been used a handful of times and is getting badly chipped. I think it's the noise weight and motor mover over gravel that's doing it - I didn't have the issue with my old single axle.

How about a halfway house of a puncture proof normal tyre type?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is that they do not make, as far as I know, a tubeless tyre that small and I do not know of any of the wheel rims for that size tyre that do not have a hole for an inner tube connector.

Most of the time a pneumatic jockey wheel fails is that the tyre pressure has dropped and the tyre rotates around the rim, dragging the tube with it and tearing the tube, usually where the inflator is attached to the tube.

You only have a very small amount of air in those wheels so any drop is critical.

I guess the only way to minimise the problem is to check the tyre pressure before every use and ensure it is fully inflated.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
ReverendJT said:
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my standard plastic jockey wheel with a pneumatic tyre, as on soft grass it creates a trench (100 kg nose weight) .

ReverendJT

.............your noseweight value is under your control.

Presumably your problem only happens when you are using a mover on a soft surface.
In those circumstances, put some weight behind your caravan's axle(s) and temporarily lower the noseweight ..... for instance a family member could sit on a rear fixed bed if you have that layout.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I too have found the furrow plowing capabilities of the standard jockey irritating.

I've had to change our jockey wheel unit to one with a wider yoke able to accommodate a wider pneumatic tyre.

I use a Maypole Mp229 plastic wheel and tyre, which costs about £9.

I works much better than the standard wheel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
ReverendJT said:
Hello,

ReverendJT

.............your noseweight value is under your control.

Presumably your problem only happens when you are using a mover on a soft surface.
In those circumstances, put some weight behind your caravan's axle(s) and temporarily lower the noseweight ..... for instance a family member could sit on a rear fixed bed if you have that layout.

I use that trick to offload noseweight when extracting the van from muddy pitches using just the mover. My noseweight is around 75 kg and Mrs OC doesn’t have to go very far back from the axle.

Dive dive :)

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Don't bother with pneumatic, they are more trouble than they are worth. Since they contain very little air, they soon go flat, and once this happens the sidewalls crack rendering them scrap. Murphy's law prevails such that tyre valve is always obstructed by the JW yoke, so checking pressure and inflation are a pain.

May 4, 2019
Visit site
Having looked at the soft rubber ones a bit more that maybe the way to go but I will also need to change the pole to get the extra width of tyre. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I didn't think of offsetting the weight to be honest. But by buying a different jockey I can also avoid digging myself a hole in suggesting my wife offset some of the weight. I would try the children but they have minds of their own, so once I've ploughed the site with a lovely furrow I would probably look up to find them at the front window looking at me and wondering why I look so angry.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I replaced the solid jockey wheel on my caravan several years ago. Like Damian said, once deflated the tyre/inner tube can shift and tear which happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The inner tube did need replacing and the tyre itself had perished somewhat. I was able to buy (at Flintshire Caravans) a new jockey wheel complete with a tubeless tyre for £23. The tyre and wheel look to be a much better product than the old, tubed, bolt-together wheel it replaces and the valve "sticks out" at a much better angle for pressure checking and inflation.
Mike

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
Interesting to read all the different views, we went from pneumatic to solid on our old outfit in the end - we'd replaced the inner tube once and the full wheel/tyre before making the move. Tyre was constantly going down and as some have said the valve was really awkward to use! Didn't regret moving to solid, but did have a few times you could feel it digging in on soft ground, but still easier to move around than on a flat tyre!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This is the link for the solid rubber jockey whell. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veto-9062005-Solid-Rubber-Jockey/dp/B002TRJ80A/ref=sr_1_38?crid=1RS4C1QEN1TTZ&keywords=caravan+rubber+jockey+wheel&qid=1565971213&quartzVehicle=29-403&replacementKeywords=rubber+jockey+wheel&s=gateway&sprefix=Caravan+rubber+%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-38

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
We've got a puncture proof wheel on ours - looks and performs like a pneumatic but doesn't deflate because it's solid. I carried a spare for the first few outings just in case - but no problems with it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
This is the link for the solid rubber jockey whell. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veto-9062005-Solid-Rubber-Jockey/dp/B002TRJ80A/ref=sr_1_38?crid=1RS4C1QEN1TTZ&keywords=caravan+rubber+jockey+wheel&qid=1565971213&quartzVehicle=29-403&replacementKeywords=rubber+jockey+wheel&s=gateway&sprefix=Caravan+rubber+%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-38

I put one on my wheelbarrow. Got fed up with the pneumatic versions. A little smaller than ideal but still works perfectly well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts