Pneumatic jockey wheel

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have an issue with my pneumatic jockey wheel in that it goes flat over the course of a week. My dealer, Chichester Caravans in Bromsgrove, state that this is normal for a pneumatic jockey wheel and have suggested that I changed back to a wide normal hard jockey wheel. The reason i changed to the pneumatci was because I have a motor mover fitted on my twin axle.

This tyre has a tube within it and it is a real pain to pump up every time you go out. If so why don't my car tyres go flat every week. Can any one confirm whether the dealer is right or wrong?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

Re your Pneumatic jockey wheel, Have you checked the inner valve to make sure it is screwd in tightly, I say this because upon checking the nearside caravan tyre for correct air pressure prior to going away , upon unsrewing the air valve cover , the air started to escape throught the valve, using a small srewdriver managed to screw the valve tightly, no more air escapes.My jockey wheel I keep to 30 psi,When the caravan is

parked with stabilzers down , I lift the wheel off the ground,this I find keeps the tyre inflated longer.

Roy.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, the problem you have is , more than likely, to do with the valve not seating tightly enough , or the valve stem seal being perished. I would suggest getting a valve removal tool and replacement valve set for somewhere like Halfords, and change the valve. A pneumatic tyre should not deflate in a week. All tyres will lose pressure over time due to changes in temperature etc, but not go fully flat unless there is an underlying reason.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since you say you have a tubed tyre on your pneumatic jockey wheel replacing the valve alone is not practical. Sounds like you need a new inner tube. Or perhaps the valve does need tightening.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In answer to your question the dealer is definately wrong.

I have used a pneumatic tyre on my jockey for the last two years. In that time I have only needed to top up the pressure once.

In practice I always leave the jockey wheel down with most of the weight of the van on it, and just enough o the steadies to stop movement.

If you have not had the van long I would think you had a claim against the dealer. If it was happening to the road wheels would he say that this was normal?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In answer to your question the dealer is definately wrong.

I have used a pneumatic tyre on my jockey for the last two years. In that time I have only needed to top up the pressure once.

In practice I always leave the jockey wheel down with most of the weight of the van on it, and just enough o the steadies to stop movement.

If you have not had the van long I would think you had a claim against the dealer. If it was happening to the road wheels would he say that this was normal?
You can replace the valve core on its own as my friend found one after the other on his Freelander !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Inflate your pneumatic jocky wheel to around 30lbs sq in, place a wet finger over the valve (a bit of spit will do)if the valve core leaks it will gradually form a bubble, sometimes pressing the centre of the core in and releasing air rapidly will blow any thing of the seat that is stopping the core from seating fully. As others have said check the tightness of the core with a tool which is sometimes found on the reverse of a valve cap,or on a pressure gauge or can be purchased separatly and usually incorperates devices for cleaning up the threads of the core and the cap.

Failing this you have got a normal puncture, in which case either strip the tube out inflate it and dunk it in a bowl of water to identify the leak, repair as a normal cycle or wheel barrow puncture, not forgetting to feel round the inside of the tyre for a nail, thorn ect that has penetrated the tyre and is still there.

Or you could go to the tyre shop, but whichever way the wheel should only need inflating, say, a couple times a year

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
For once Chichester Caravans have decided to do something about it and did it quite promptly. They have replaced the entire jockey wheel assembly!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For once Chichester Caravans have decided to do something about it and did it quite promptly. They have replaced the entire jockey wheel assembly!
do you think Chichester caravans acted as a result of the adverse publisity they were getting on this web site ??.Their original reason and excuse was pathetic ,and a very poor advertiment of their customer care .any way WELL DONE ,Coljac

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
my dealer told me that with a mover a solid wheel is best, but everyone seems to use pneumatic tyres. is there any reason for this or is it just preference?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts