Pneumatic tyre on jockey wheel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am considering fitting a new jockey wheel assembly with pneumatic tyre to my Lunar Clubman. The jockey wheel fits inside the chassis, with the tyre under the A frame cover. Has anyone done this mod and were there any issues? Hoping that larger tyre will not dig into hard standings, but don't want it to bottom onto speed bumps!

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Although they allow you to move the van easier there is a downside, if it punctures can happen at the worst times and you won't be able to move the van.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The centre mount jockey wheel can foul when going over dropped kerbs, ferry ramps or uneven ground - even when towed by cars with self-levelling suspension - a larger tyre will only make things worse.

Older caravans had the jockey wheel clamped on the outside of the A-frame which was much better because the jockey wheel could be quickly removed/refitted.

As they say "Change is inevitable, progress is optional"

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I changed the solid wheel on my 2007 Bailey Senator for a pneumatic one. The new wheel was no bigger in diameter than the old solid one so it caused no problems with speed ramps or ferry boarding. The wheel also fitted up inside the A frame.
I have just fitted a pneumatic wheel to replace the solid one on my 2014 Bailey Pegasus and again I have had no problems. The wheel on my new van fita outside the A frame so I could remove it if I wanted.
In the last 7 years I have never had a puncture in the jockey wheel and it id so much easier to manouver the van with one fitted.
I would go for it and fit one. :)

Graeme.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I fitted one which was located inside the A frame. I never had a problem on speed humps or ferry ramps but never had to use it over a dropped kerb so cant answer that point. when I changed vans I replaced the old solid tyre and fitted the pneumatic to my new jockey wheel. In the 7 years I have used it I have never had a puncture and although I check the pressure when I check the caravan tyres it has never needed topping up. It would have been a real struggle getting my van into store over gravel without one.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I purchased another caravan in Feb. this year and it had a solid tyre. My previous caravans had pneumatic tyres.

I have just changed the solid tyre for a pneumatic one as I have got fed up with the solid one digging in on loose gravel at my storage site. It also dug in on some hard standings when away

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
cooky1 said:
I changed the solid wheel on my 2007 Bailey Senator for a pneumatic one. The new wheel was no bigger in diameter than the old solid one so it caused no problems with speed ramps or ferry boarding. The wheel also fitted up inside the A frame.
I have just fitted a pneumatic wheel to replace the solid one on my 2014 Bailey Pegasus and again I have had no problems. The wheel on my new van fita outside the A frame so I could remove it if I wanted.
In the last 7 years I have never had a puncture in the jockey wheel and it id so much easier to manouver the van with one fitted.
I would go for it and fit one. :)

Graeme.

Ditto

I have just bought one to be fitted to my sons van :)

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I changed to a pneumatic jockey wheel last year, it was very good over uneven or soft ground, however parked van up for winter, fully inflating tyre before raising up into A frame, came to March and tried to manoeuvre off storage pitch and tyre had perished so I was unable to use motor mover. so back to the original hard rubber one. I would recommend if you have a pneumatic jockey wheel, keep a spare solid rubberwheel incase of punctures. :side:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I have gone ahead and bought a new jockey wheel assembly with pneumatic tyre. It has been delivered and I fitted it yesterday (very easy job) and so now I will see how I get on with it. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts