Poled or Air Awing!

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
We've decided that we do really need some form of awing with the dogs, so decided that a good size porch awning would suffice rather than a full awing.

Our experience of putting up the Isabella awing we had, we struggled. So pondering would a Air awing be easier to put up. and what sort of issues should we consider...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We've decided that we do really need some form of awing with the dogs, so decided that a good size porch awning would suffice rather than a full awing.

Our experience of putting up the Isabella awing we had, we struggled. So pondering would a Air awing be easier to put up. and what sort of issues should we consider...

I’ve stuck to pole awnings as you can subdivide the awning and poles fir easier stowage in the car or caravan.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Had both, stayed with poles. I’m surprised you struggled with an Isabella, they are so easy to put up.
Isabella Magnum would be my recommendation.

Reactions: J.Lo
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I loved the Isabella, very well made indeed...

It was the back roof plates that fit onto the canvas beading that caused us most of the issues... They had to be clipped on after you threaded the awing through the rail. And I could just about reach the corner to clip them on, but even the middle one was out of my reach. Hubby has impaired vision and brick layer hands! So found it very difficult to get them onto the bead.

I did try to leave them on when after the first time, but couldn't unthread the awing while still attached.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I leave mine on but pull the awning in and out of the rail at the front. I’m only 5’6” and Mrs TD 4’11” So I know all about being vertically challenged! I carry an aluminium folding decorators step with me which helps no end when setting up. Lives in the corner of the awning with a cloth over it as a table.
The air awning was a nightmare to tug through the rail as the beams got snagged up on everything.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When you struggled with the pole awning, what was it that caused the struggle.
A couple of years ago I bought an Isabella Magnum porch awning with poles.
I struggled a bit the first couple of times I used it but I've got used to it and have worked out a routine for erecting it with no problems.
I've never tried an air awning because forum reports indicate that they are unreliable,heavy and can be difficult to pull through the awning rail.
Use the magnifying glass icon at the top of the forum list page for the search facility and type in Air Awnings to see previous threads.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Apart from the pole plates....

To be honest, we only managed to use it a couple of times, so probably was more to lack of practice to be honest, there's not enough room at home for attaching the awing, which would have been more than helpful. And another problem I've always in the past with tents/trailer tents colour coded my poles, makes life easier putting frames together when pitching rather than trying to see what poles goes where.

That was a niggle with the Isabella instructions, one set to cover several different sizes, doesn't always make for easy fathoming out... They weren't that clear.

The light weight decorating steps, is a good idea....

I know they say, there's no height adjustment with an Air Awning, which could be a problem on an uneven pitch, which knowing my perfectionist trait, might cause issues at time

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I know they say, there's no height adjustment with an Air Awning, which could be a problem on an uneven pitch, which knowing my perfectionist trait, might cause issues at time
[/QUOTE]

This was one of the many problems we have experienced with two different air awnings. If the pitch isn’t perfectly level and flat they twist and crease.
Have a look on YouTube for the Isabella assembly videos. The ones by Steve Biggs of Isabella are the best.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
There is an online video which I still find useful for erecting our Isabella. Ooops sorry,Tuningdrew has just stated the same!
I pause it whilst I carry out each stage.
Most/all air awnings are heavy than "pole" Isabellas.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We have a Suncamp porch awning-air and an Outdoor Revolution full sized-wouldn't want to go back to poles-it takes less than 30mins to put them up -the little Suncamp 20most and is so easy and it's light-the bigger awning is heavy to cart round but is pretty easy to get through the awning chanel in our Buc-much easier than our Bailey whose rails had sealant in! A bit of silicone spray in the chanel helps too. And down in seconds too!

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Well, decision made.....

After much thought, and watching a couple of video's , a visit to the caravan Centre (we also measured up the flat length of rail, height etc.)

Hubby decided on the Air porch, they had a very good deal on the Vango Kalari 3, 420 which came with an annex and groundsheet, and other bits and bobs at a very good price. So we went for it.

Good thing abut the Kalari, is that the side and front panels zip out, so if the whole of it is too much of a struggle to thread through the awning rail, we can take the panels out to lighten it.

Another plus, due to its length it looks like we won't have the bumper seal sitting over a window, which will be a relief.

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also have a Vango air porch awning from Jr leisure we got a good deal with ours but ours is a bit lighter but i hope you enjoy yours .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In simple terms air awnings are quicker and easier to erect, but tend to weigh more so are harder to carry and pull through the awning rail, although those with removable panels will be easier for that task. They may all fit in one bag though, so moving them when down will still be hard work.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Can manage our large 420 awning on my own-just (new hips) so it isn't too bad but 2 makes a heavy job easy in terms of awning rail too-same applies-have managed it on my own. BUT and it's a big but having watched all around us spend ages putting up poled awnings this weekend on site, I was very happy to be putting ours up=30 -40mins and I was on the g n t's without puff. The big thing once up is how hard the ground is for the pegs and with that there is no difference-it has to be done! Llanberis Morris leisure site=different story-broke my mallet on the slate there!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can manage our large 420 awning on my own-just (new hips) so it isn't too bad but 2 makes a heavy job easy in terms of awning rail too-same applies-have managed it on my own. BUT and it's a big but having watched all around us spend ages putting up poled awnings this weekend on site, I was very happy to be putting ours up=30 -40mins and I was on the g n t's without puff. The big thing once up is how hard the ground is for the pegs and with that there is no difference-it has to be done! Llanberis Morris leisure site=different story-broke my mallet on the slate there!!!

Thats why I use proper claw hammer as once in Dumfries and Galloway we were on a site near to the seafront which consisted entreiely, or so it seemed, of a miix of large and smaller hard pebbles. the mallet didn't do a thing and someone lent me a metal claw hammer and even then it was tricky. but that has been the worst ever. The claw aid peg removal to.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Kampa Rallye Air Pro still resides in the loft. A few problems. It is very , very heavy to pull through the awning rail. The guys lines needed are trip hazards. You need a ceiling liner to avoid the condensation drips. The air legs are not strong and regularly burst leaving you deflated.
My Isabella Magnum is easy to erect alone, very sturdy, withstands storms weather with ease and is very well made. A no brainier.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am a fan of air awnings and mostly had good experiences. However just put our Vango Rapide up on a grass pitch that has a slight slope. It has been an absolute pig. It is as good as it is going to get for today ( it’s raining now as well). Tomorrow I am going to find something to put under one side of the single air beam to see if that helps. The problem with air awnings is that you cannot adjust the air beam length like you can on poled awnings. Not sure I would go back to poled awnings but just wanted to highlight the issue.
Mel

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
My Kampa Rallye Air Pro still resides in the loft. A few problems. It is very , very heavy to pull through the awning rail. The guys lines needed are trip hazards. You need a ceiling liner to avoid the condensation drips. The air legs are not strong and regularly burst leaving you deflated.
My Isabella Magnum is easy to erect alone, very sturdy, withstands storms weather with ease and is very well made. A no brainier.
I am a fan of air awnings and mostly had good experiences. However just put our Vango Rapide up on a grass pitch that has a slight slope. It has been an absolute pig. It is as good as it is going to get for today ( it’s raining now as well). Tomorrow I am going to find something to put under one side of the single air beam to see if that helps. The problem with air awnings is that you cannot adjust the air beam length like you can on poled awnings. Not sure I would go back to poled awnings but just wanted to highlight the issue.
Mel
My experiences exactly. Staying with my Isabellas. Poles don’t need colour coding, you can’t mix them up.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i think my wife would have to help me to get your awning up .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Outdoor Revolution Compactalite pro classis 250 Lightweight porch awning this one is so easy to put up last time was 30 mins

Attachments

• outdoor-revolution-compactalite-pro-classic-250-awning-ivory.jpg
    outdoor-revolution-compactalite-pro-classic-250-awning-ivory.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 2
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Outdoor Revolution Compactalite pro classis 250 Lightweight porch awning this one is so easy to put up last time was 30 mins
We had a similar very lightweight one years back. It was the ease of putting it up and that two of us could make good use of it that persuaded us to ditch the full awnings. So we then bought a pre owned Isabella Magnum which we kept until we gave up caravanning in 2014. The only drawback with the very lightweight was that in winter it was quite susceptible to roof condensation. When we saw the light again and bought everything afresh in 2017 we stayed with a porch awning but one with heavier grade material.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts