Poled or Air Awing!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Trudgians have a video on Youtube where they have a "competition" between erecting a traditional awning and an air awning. The traditional awning was quicker to erect than the air awning mainly due to weight. Either way whether traditional or air the awning still has to be pegged down however the traditional does not requires dozens of guy ropes to hold it in place.
I contacted Isabella about the Cirrus 400 mentioning that we have physical issues and are currently using a traditional awning. Thye were honest enough to reply and state that the air awning probably would not be suitable for us due to the weight that needs to be pulled through the awning rail even with the sides removed. In addition as it is all in one to lug around the awning in the bag will probably require the two of us due to the weight. I doubt very much if we would be able to lift it into the roof box on the car as we can barely manage with the Magnum Coal so will stick with the Magnum.

Reactions: Tuningdrew
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had a similar very lightweight one years back. It was the ease of putting it up and that two of us could make good use of it that persuaded us to ditch the full awnings. So we then bought a pre owned Isabella Magnum which we kept until we gave up caravanning in 2014. The only drawback with the very lightweight was that in winter it was quite susceptible to roof condensation. When we saw the light again and bought everything afresh in 2017 we stayed with a porch awning but one with heavier grade material.
Hi Clive it alright for us our season is usually March - October we don"t take the caravan out in the winter period .but if we did we have the Vango air awning for back up now.

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
The Trudgians have a video on Youtube where they have a "competition" between erecting a traditional awning and an air awning. The traditional awning was quicker to erect than the air awning mainly due to weight. Either way whether traditional or air the awning still has to be pegged down however the traditional does not requires dozens of guy ropes to hold it in place.
I contacted Isabella about the Cirrus 400 mentioning that we have physical issues and are currently using a traditional awning. Thye were honest enough to reply and state that the air awning probably would not be suitable for us due to the weight that needs to be pulled through the awning rail even with the sides removed. In addition as it is all in one to lug around the awning in the bag will probably require the two of us due to the weight. I doubt very much if we would be able to lift it into the roof box on the car as we can barely manage with the Magnum Coal so will stick with the Magnum.
Why does an air awning need 'dozens of guy ropes'? I don't use any unless gale force winds are forecast.
Cliff

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why does an air awning need 'dozens of guy ropes'? I don't use any unless gale force winds are forecast.
Cliff
We used ours mainly in Scotland and guy ropes were required. We soldthe Air Ace 400 after about 10 nights use. We have a small 220 air awning for the winter and it requires guy ropes to stay put!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We used ours mainly in Scotland and guy ropes were required. We soldthe Air Ace 400 after about 10 nights use. We have a small 220 air awning for the winter and it requires guy ropes to stay put!
Where abouts in Scotland we been to Edinburgh but like to go futher a field when we can ..
Take Care Keep Safe

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Looking round there doesn't seem any more ropes or straps on an air awning compared to a poled awning-in fact there is a suncamp porch awning that look the same in every way except you have a choice. Love our air awnings and wouldn't go back to poled.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There aren’t any on my Dorema poled awning either. The only ones used sometimes will be the storm straps consisting of two straps as per standard on most makes of awning. My Isabella Magnum had its storm straps internal but I tended to use the supplementary Isalink fixing points on the front and two sides. Fiddly but effective.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think there are only 4 on ours large awning=and 2 storm straps but the base on all awnings need 'pinning down' and they are then a ll basically no different surely? The addition of a few strings to nail down isn't a deal breaker for me.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I think there are only 4 on ours large awning=and 2 storm straps but the base on all awnings need 'pinning down' and they are then a ll basically no different surely? The addition of a few strings to nail down isn't a deal breaker for me.
For us it was the last straw. Just got so fed up with the dog’s tethers getting caught up and tripping over the wretched things. Added to all the other problems we had with it; leaks and condensation, draughts round the sides ( no 😂 limpets then), restricted headroom and for me the claustrophobic roof tubes just didn’t cut it. I’ve never suffered pole damage to my caravan yet when the Kampa collapsed in strong winds it knocked over two tables damaging the side of the van and breaking a kettle and bottles of beer and wine.
We never had the issue of exploding air beams that so many others have had, got shot of it before it got to that stage.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
What interesting replies concerning, whats liked and what's not liked...

We were lucky that the caravan centre have a lot of awning up on show, and against the wall, so you get a very good idea on what the actual size feels like.

Our first thoughts that we thought would suit, standing in the next size up, and taking a thought to how we'd use the area, well how the dogs will fit in... Realised that we did actually need bigger than we're thought.

We could also look at how big the Air sections were and give them a good prod both from inside and out... And compare these with pole awnings (the air awning on display doesn't have the storm guys fitted, due to not enough room)

But we saw, the Vango and decided that this one suited us better, and it had a very good deal on it.

I've given some thought uneven pitches, got an idea or two for a work around, so its a case of we're see

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What interesting replies concerning, whats liked and what's not liked...

We were lucky that the caravan centre have a lot of awning up on show, and against the wall, so you get a very good idea on what the actual size feels like.

Our first thoughts that we thought would suit, standing in the next size up, and taking a thought to how we'd use the area, well how the dogs will fit in... Realised that we did actually need bigger than we're thought.

We could also look at how big the Air sections were and give them a good prod both from inside and out... And compare these with pole awnings (the air awning on display doesn't have the storm guys fitted, due to not enough room)

But we saw, the Vango and decided that this one suited us better, and it had a very good deal on it.

I've given some thought uneven pitches, got an idea or two for a work around, so its a case of we're see
Hi i hope you enjoy your vango and have some great holidays .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a chat with Isabella and they told me that they had a competition to see which was quicker to erect and the answer was neither. Sometime erecting the traditional was quicker and other times the air awning was quicker. In all cases the difference in time to erect either awning was minimal. The big difference is cost and the perceived thought that an air awning is quicker to erect than a traditional awning.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I had a chat with Isabella and they told me that they had a competition to see which was quicker to erect and the answer was neither. Sometime erecting the traditional was quicker and other times the air awning was quicker. In all cases the difference in time to erect either awning was minimal. The big difference is cost and the perceived thought that an air awning is quicker to erect than a traditional awning.

I agree, there is various aspects that would effect how quickly you're going to get any Awning up once you've arrived on your pitch.

When I consider how many years I've been camping, and how many times I've pitched a tent awnings shouldn't pose too much of a problem to get up and pitched after all the only difference is attaching it to the caravan!

What I hadn't contended with, camping under canvas I've always been on a grass pitch, but with the caravan its been on a pitch with hardstanding, which is fine for the caravan, but too many have your whole pitch as hard standing, so a nightmare pegging out the Awning.

My first holiday with my old caravan, was quiet memorable... Not just with the struggle getting ours up but watching a couple of others as well.

We had a very large motorhome, young family attempting to get the back wheels on levelling chucks, only to drop the motorhome off the back of the chuck and dropping it on a pitch dividing rail, boy did that do a lot of damage to the rear end bodywork. Amazingly no arguments, just a oh, heck how do we get it off, and that's gonna cost to repair...

Then the Air Porch which caused much mirth, they pumped the frame up, and every time they detached the pump it deflated! (after watching a video I think where they went wrong)

But said, other factors will play a part in how quick you get set up

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree, there is various aspects that would effect how quickly you're going to get any Awning up once you've arrived on your pitch.

When I consider how many years I've been camping, and how many times I've pitched a tent awnings shouldn't pose too much of a problem to get up and pitched after all the only difference is attaching it to the caravan!

What I hadn't contended with, camping under canvas I've always been on a grass pitch, but with the caravan its been on a pitch with hardstanding, which is fine for the caravan, but too many have your whole pitch as hard standing, so a nightmare pegging out the Awning.

My first holiday with my old caravan, was quiet memorable... Not just with the struggle getting ours up but watching a couple of others as well.

We had a very large motorhome, young family attempting to get the back wheels on levelling chucks, only to drop the motorhome off the back of the chuck and dropping it on a pitch dividing rail, boy did that do a lot of damage to the rear end bodywork. Amazingly no arguments, just a oh, heck how do we get it off, and that's gonna cost to repair...

Then the Air Porch which caused much mirth, they pumped the frame up, and every time they detached the pump it deflated! (after watching a video I think where they went wrong)

But said, other factors will play a part in how quick you get set up

I’ve never found pegging out on hard standings a problem. I use rock pegs and a general metal claw hammer. Where an awning is different to my tents is that more adjustment can be required on sloping pitches.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
having been away for the week perhaps it is not the up that is much different but getting the thing down if air is much quicker imo-literally 10mins for our 420 awing-pegs out, air out, off the van and fold into the bag-no poles to disassemble and bag separately. Having had both would never go back to poles.

Reactions: Mel
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Getting a porch air awning down it will take me more than 10 mins i could pull some out but with help from my wife the item would be pack away

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Well ok maybe a few more than 10 mins-never really timed it but it really is super fast and no poles to sort and bag; just so easy regardless of size-takes longest to fold it into the bag-they are never big enough somehow are they, but wife is getting down to a fine art these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts