Polish currency

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone, We are off to Gdansk for a couple of days during February end of term. (Not in the 'van you understand.) My query is whether they readily accept or indeed prefer euros to the Zloty. Also are credit cards accepted by restaurants and major shops? Any information would be very gratefully received. Best Wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George

You are better of taking US Dollars. I go there quite a bit with work and US Dollars are always welcome.

The exchange rate is about 5.5 Zloty to the Pound, when I first went there in 1985 the exchange rate was 250 Zloty to the Pound but then is was still a communist country!!

HTH

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Dollars may have been very welcome during the communist era but I think you'll find that today, with Poland in the EU, although not in the monetary union, Euros are at least as acceptable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dollars may have been very welcome during the communist era but I think you'll find that today, with Poland in the EU, although not in the monetary union, Euros are at least as acceptable.
As someone who works in Warsaw for a few days every month I can say that US Dollars is the currency that is most welcome.

Cheers

Mark

G

Like most of the countries of Eastern Europe the use of many currencies is acceptable. Bank ATM's will accept your UK bank card easily and be a relatively safe way of getting money. I am always loathe to pay anything in any currency apart from the national one, as you can easily be shortchanged in exchange rates. Do carry some currency, either UK pounds, or US Dollars as back up for emergencies , and only use banks to exchange them. Money changers will screw you easily. Using a credit card is easy, especially in big cities, but you are always taking a chance that your idendity will be hijacked. Why not pay everything in cash, then you know exactly where you stand. Poland is now in the EU so you can always re-exchange any excess Zlotys back into Pounds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never had any problems with credit cards. Yes, I suppose there is a risk of identity fraud, but if it happens that is not my problem. Yes, it would cause problems and heartache in the short term, but I still think it is safer to use plastic. I would be worried about losing a quantity of cash.

When we are abroad, we take both Visa and Mastercard. I carry both Visa, and Mrs P both Mastercards. We also have a debit card in the caravan safe, just in case. Thus if a wallet or purse is lost, we can cancel one card but still have two valid cards.

Taking too much local currency is OK if you plan to visit that country again, but changing back to sterling is expensive as they offer a much lower rate.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Living in the Eurozone, I've found that over the last year or two the Euro has become as acceptable as the US Dollar wherever I've travelled, even outside of Europe (though not of course in America).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George

You are better of taking US Dollars. I go there quite a bit with work and US Dollars are always welcome.

The exchange rate is about 5.5 Zloty to the Pound, when I first went there in 1985 the exchange rate was 250 Zloty to the Pound but then is was still a communist country!!

HTH

Mark
Yes mark,you certainly got a lot of Zloty's to the pound then,bu there was nothing to spend the money on!!

Catherine

G

Mike,

I am pleased to note you have had no bad experiences with credit cards. Unfortunately, it would appear that others are not so lucky, and my suggestion was to avoid the problem if possible. You can only take 300 Euros or

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to all who replied. I'll take some cash and cards. Oh, and perhaps some thermal underwear might be a good idea...I would imagine that the Baltic is bracing in February. Best Wishes, George T.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts