Poole - Santander and back via Roscoff -Plymouth 1st 2 weeks 2011

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Terry Ivybridge "Any ideas/ advices"

Long January ferry crossing
smiley-surprised.gif

Pack sea legs, wrist bands and seasickness pills for Roscoff/Plymouth
Pack sea legs, wrist bands and double dose seasickness pills for Poole/Santander and start prayers for calmer sea's before Christmas
smiley-wink.gif

Crossed to Santander early March 2008 I was sick as a dog and better half was ill for a week, we drove back to the tunnel. Summer crossing to Spain 2006 a breeze. Winter, not for us
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Which ferry company is operating Poole to Santandar ? can't find any - Brittany or LD - but wish I could as live much nearer to Poole than any other ferry port.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Terry - have a look at the Camping Cheques website - at the moment they're doing an offer with 'Caravans go free' with Brittany Ferries on selected routes (Plymouth to Roscoff is one of them). It may not save a fortune, but perhaps two or three nights' campsite fees. If you don't use the Camping Cheques you can always put them up for 'grabs' on here - someone is always interested.
Also, unless your holidays are fixed, by work commitments, etc., then it may make sense to look at earlier or later dates. During the peak holiday weeks (and you're coming up to them first two weeks in July) ferries, sites and roads are more crowded. Two weeks earlier and everything will be much quieter (and perhaps cheaper) - and you may be able to take advantage of Camping Cheques or an ACSI card. These can bring down the cost of sites significantly (with sites costing between 11 and 15 euros, inclusive of pitch, car and caravan, two people, awning and electricity).
I haven't done the long crossings, but good luck! You'll get plenty of good advice from the contributors on here.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We did the sailing into Santander a few years back (late May / early June) on the Pont Aven. Lovely smooth sailing. However the week before the front of the boat had been hit by a freak wave which knocked out the front windows! We then had a lovely 3 weeks travelling from Spain up the west coast of France, sailing back from Cherbourg. Depending on the sites you wish to call at you may have to use a mixture of Camping Cheques and dealing direct with sites or through Caravan Club etc. We called at Playa Joyel in Spain (not far from Santander) - nice site however I would not stop again over a weekend as it is very popular with the Spanish and can get a bit rowdy. After crossing the border into France we stayed at Bidart by Biarritz. We called in at a camping cheque site which was a bit drab and not ready for business so proceeded to Pavillion Royale. A lovely site, direct access to the beach, no statics and not "lively".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts