Porch Awning easily fitted by one person

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello I need a bit of advice please.
Can anyone recommend a porch awning that can easily be erected by one person without the chance of poles clunking the van before the pegging down is completed.
We have a very nice Nearly new porch awning that we use when my wife and I are away with the van. But I almost feel inadequate when I here people tell me that they erect their awnings by themselves without the benefit of an extra pair of hands to hold the poles in place, before a few securing pegs are installed.
Each time we fit our awning I try to visualise doing it alone and have yet to come up with a plan where some of the poles would not drop against the van.
The reason I ask is because a couple of times each year I get away for a lonely long weekend and find a site near a fishing lake and indulge myself in trying to catch a few. The past three times I have done this the weather has been miserable, rain drizzle etc, so A porch awning would be great for shedding the waterproofs etc.
I need one though that can be easily erected on my own. I have looked at quite a few on the computer but not yet at the dealers. I need to keep cost down a bit mainly because of the limited use to this end I will probably look at the used market if I can get a few recommendations Names Model numbers etc.
thank you all in anticipation.
Brian

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Some time ago i bought a khyam porch awning that i can put up before the kettle has boiled ,the other half being disabled meant she couldnt help, it could be called quick erect?. The poles are fixed in the awning and spread from a central hub , like a star. Thread into the awning rail and push up the central hub , then snap the poles together , its up , now peg out. Not seen it for a while but it came from JR leisure. Hope this helps

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your reply Graham, that sounds just the type of thing I need.
I shall have a look around the Internet to see if I can locate one. Any type will do me really provided I can erect it on my own without bashing the van with a wayward pole.
again thank you for your comments.
regards Brian

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I had a Bradcot portico for solo putting up as I found it much easier than those lightweight things that blow about with the slightest breeze, not ideal for putting up on your own. Anyway, kept the portico for weekends when we sold the full awning and replaced it with an Isabella Magnum. We now have the Portico advertised on pre loved as the Magnum is easier to put up than the tiny portico so we use that all the time now. I would say however that a second hand Portico is perfectly do able on your own especially with the compact dimensions and a lot cheaper than the Magnum.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've tried a Suncamp, an old Dorema Toronto both of which needed two pairs of hands.
The current Izzy Magnum I can do by myself with ease. The pole attachments are such that unless you are very clumsy they will not collapse and damage the caravan. Not the cheapest though but a good usable size for short stays.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Brian, we have a porchlite plus igloo type porch that has the carbon fibre poles (3) on the outside, it can be erected solo in ten minutes tops, longer than it takes to boil the kettle
smiley-embarassed.gif
but the teas still hot when finished
smiley-cool.gif
, although we dont use it, as a porch it only weighs 7kg so is worth taking along.
very handy if visitors arrive, or for storing all the outside stuff, overnight when the main awning is taken down the day before departing if the weather looks bleak, would be perfect for the job you have in mind and theres no way any poles can touch the van, quite cheap as well if I remember correctly £89 new (3years ago) I have a photo somewhere and will see if I can dig it out? ok they are not the most astheticly pleasing type of porch but wind and watertight, so worth considering.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Solved the problem of erecting our full sized awning solo with the addition of some webbing ties, velco and lengths of rubber lightweight bungee cord from a yacht chandlers. The roof poles are now held in place with webbing ties (also prevents damage to caravan) sewn to the under side of the awning beading and velcro at the front of the roof. Bungee stretched between the front corners holds the frame together for the front end when lifting.
Adapting what you already have could also be simple, cost effective and a workable alternative.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a Bradcor Portico and have no trouble putting it up and down by myself. We only use it for storing deck chairs and the like though as it is rather too small for much else.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
How about one of the air filled frame porch awnings. These can be erected by one person and I was surprised how sturdy they are when I looked at one of the shows

Kampa and Outdoor Revolution are two of the companies that make them

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies. I certainly have food for thought. Like I said in my original post I am going to look for a used one if I can drop on something in good condition. I have a month before I need to get something so hopefully the right one will come along.
I will post on this thread what I get.

Again thanks to all for your replies.
Regards Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Graham. thanks for your post. I have just tried the site and found the link you suggest but for some reason my screen just goes dark and won't go to the video sequence.
It could be that their site is playing up or more likley my machine may not have the right software to play video links.
I will give it another go later in case their site is having a bad day!
I have been checking all the usual outlets ie:- E-bay, Preloved etc to see if anyone has one for sale. I have also found a little used outdoor revolution 260 pro that looks OK, it has a few days yet to run on E bay so I will see how it goes before thinking about making a bid, Again I am undecided because I am not sure how easy it will be to erect. It says collection only which is not to bad for me about 45 miles away but obviously a couple of gallons of diesel will add a bit to the initial cost.
I haven't yet come across the one you have recommended. Still I am in no rush I will just keep my eye out.
Again thank you for your post.
regards Brian

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Referring to control of poles whilst erecting an awning, When the canvas has been threaded through the channel, I put up the centre front pole and place two guy ropes on the top spike. I then peg these out to hold the pole upright, I repeat with the other two poles and find that there is no danger of wayward poles clouting the van side. I know this doesn't strictly address the "single handed" problem but find this a very efficient method generally. Hope it helps someone!
Derek

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Got it now Graham. Don't know what I was doing wrong before.
yes that is very impressive, their web site doesen't show a dedicated caravan one now of that type, I presume they have stopped the models some time after you got yours.
I did place a bid on an outdoor revolution pro 260 compactalite through E bay but the next time I looked it was way over what I was willing to pay. The compactalite has an option for additional poles but the one I bided on didn't have them so I would have had to find almost £40 more, there is another one on at the moment so it will be interesting to see what it goes for.
I will certainly look out for the Khyam ones the idea is so simple and for just an odd few days for somewhere for me to dump my muddy boots and wet fishing clothes it would be ideal. (Always seems to rain when I get away on my own)
thank you again regards Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts