porch awnings and quickest to put up for newbies

May 15, 2005
Visit site
hi there I am new to caravanning and dont have much experience with awnings, however I recently purchased my 1st caravan an 1990 Elddis Cyclone 5 berth, complete with a full apache awning, however this seems to prove difficult to put up and down, even more so when we are just away for the weekend, are there any awnings out there that are quick and easy to put up, been looking at the suncamp ultima and scenic plus, are they any good? also looking for one that will give me most room without using my full awning, any suggestions appreciated, Many Thanks Andrew.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
SunnCamp Scenic Plus is a good sized porch awning which is quick to erect. You can get a table and 2 chairs in there. Dont go for the BaseCamp. If you search through Equipment & accessories theres lots of threads on these awnings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

put the full awning up - don't deny the rest of us on the site our fun, especially if we can watch from behind twitching blinds your first attempt!

Our first go resulted in a heated discussion where I thought my language couldn't be heard from inside the collapsed awning.. I got some frosty looks from some and smirks from others over the next few days.

We have the Scenic Plus and this is plenty big enough for us - we use it for our 2 dogs and their beds storage and somewhere to hang wet coats. We have sold our full awning and just use this.

Good luck!

Regards

Ken

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ditto Ken, putting up the awning spoiled caravanning for me. Not just getting it right but the time it takes to put it up and take it down. As you say, the Scenic gives you a place to dry the dogs off and somewhere hang wet towels. OK all, I'm off now to rainy Cornwall, cya when I get back. Hope the forums grumpy old men keep exercising those chuckle muscles heheheheh!

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Advice to first time awning erectors.

Arive on site with appropreate sign (first time awning erection here will do)

Arange a few chairs, blankets on the ground ect.

open a couple bottles of red.

Proceed to erect awning. its even more entertaining for your soon to be new friends if you try to use the supplied instructions.

you are assured to have people stopping to chat all weekend.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew the easiest way to erect an awning is to ask someone else to do it for you and you sit back and watch whilst enjoying a glass of wine. Seriously though don't worry about it as we have all been down this route and made a pig's ear of it. No doubt there will be someone on site who will offer to help and believe me take it as it would be very much appreciated - good luck with your first attempt and don't shout and swear at the wife if it does not go right first time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have an large Isabella porch. It goes up quick for a traditional awning. The Scenics are quicker to go up but too small for the three of us. The Khyam, mentioned elsewhere, looks a good bet. They make proper tents. The Scenic looks too flimsy and I doubt whether they will last long. The Isabella will last a caravanning lifetime. Having said that for a weekend away the Scenics look great!

In the end you pays your money

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
hi new to caravans myself.Been out twice, just got a scenic plus and have read the instructions. Im a bit unsure if these porch awnings are suitible for hard standings and if so whats the best pegs to use and do you think a groundsheet shud be used.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you can see im also new to the intrnet!
paul dont worry about the posting bit just keep trying . on hard standing use metal pegs and as for groundsheets depends on the weather for us, i use 2 hammers for pegs , lump hammer for in, claw hammer for out, tried the flimsy peg pullers not much good just remembered they are sometimes called rock pegs,ps you only miss the pegs once or twice with a lump hammer!!!!! jim

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
paul dont worry about the posting bit just keep trying . on hard standing use metal pegs and as for groundsheets depends on the weather for us, i use 2 hammers for pegs , lump hammer for in, claw hammer for out, tried the flimsy peg pullers not much good just remembered they are sometimes called rock pegs,ps you only miss the pegs once or twice with a lump hammer!!!!! jim
many thanks jim.Might have a try out before we go to save much embaresment. paul

May 8, 2006
Visit site
try the pyramid PDQ. it only has one central pole and the legs. The bag fits onto the awning rail and with practice can be put up in around 5-10 minutes. Iris

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
hi,

Dont bother with the pdq waste of time, you undo the storage bag and get soaked, the zips work the wrong way, and they rip, you will only end up sending it back and get your money back.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
From years of Experience, I would suggest the main problem with most Awnings is caused by people putting them up as soon as they pull onto their pitch.

Pull up put the steadies down have a cuppa, read the paper/book, listen to Poof Young on your Ipod, let the kids explore the site, watch a DVD or whatever and then when you feel a little relaxed level up and attempt the Awning set-up.

Even do it in the morning after a good nights sleep.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
couldn't agree more by far the best way ot even after consuming large quantities of alcohol when it no longer becomes a problem,failing that get the wife to do it they always want to be equal!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We watched a couple in Ireland last year. The giuy reversed onto his pitch got out keys in hand puffed and panted unhitching and then moved into overdrive rushing about re hitching as he rea lised that the ground was not level. Went back and forth onto chocks and wedges. Huffed and puffed as he raced to unhitch. Raced around with battery drill putting the steadies down and throwing the battery under the van when it failed and slammed another in!

The Awning was the other side of the van from us, and he was a good 4 stone over weight and raced about throwing awning poles about, his wife went off in a huff as she wanted a cuppa ;-)

The guy eventually appeared to have collapsed in the van :) Red faced and streaming with sweat after he had cursed at his TV pole and earial.

Brilliant entertainment :) I was tempted to get the Video camera out, it was like a Keystone Cops Saga with bits getting thrown around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts