Porta Potti 365.

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi, My porta potti is just 2 weeks old but when I flush after use a smell of rotten eggs arises. I only use the potti for a wee so it's not me :sick: I use both the blue and pink disinfectants. Any help much appreciated. Jay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s a strange one on a new toilet, or even one that’s been in use for much longer. Since it’s only used for a No 1 you could try fresh water in the flush tank and blue in the holding tank. See if that alters anything. Otherwise I’d give it a really good clean through with water and some white vinegar. Then try different chemicals for the flush and holding tank. Otherwise a composting toilet could be the answer. (LOL)

https://nomadicallyyours.com/rv-toilet-check-out-the-best-alternative/

Reactions: Jay.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Definitely strange. However, thinking about it, we used One Chem and thought it smelled strongly fishy when mixed with urine 🤮Try another blue such as Elsan.
Also Give it a really good clean out, both tanks. Only use vinegar as OC suggests or a proprietary cleaner for porta Portis such as Thetfords.
If all fails perhaps you should consult your GP. 😀
Welcome to the forum
Mel

Reactions: Jcloughie and Jay.
Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Definitely strange. However, thinking about it, we used One Chem and thought it smelled strongly fishy when mixed with urine 🤮Try another blue such as Elsan.
Also Give it a really good clean out, both tanks. Only use vinegar as OC suggests or a proprietary cleaner for porta Portis such as Thetfords.
If all fails perhaps you should consult your GP. 😀
Welcome to the forum
Mel
Hi Mel. Thank you for the reply. The disinfectants I use are Chemiphase pink and blue. My son cleared it all out yesterday, gave it a good clean. We'll try the vinegar. Thanks for the welcome.:)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As it is stated that it happens whilst flushing, then the issue must be decomposition of the flush product used.

I favour just using plain tap water as a flush agent, as that with no nutrient content can't decompose. Drain after the toilet is put away so the tank is "dry" and thus unable to go sour.
For the freshen up, simply use a house plant hand sprayer charged with quite concentrated "pink" fluid

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
As it is stated that it happens whilst flushing, then the issue must be decomposition of the flush product used.

I favour just using plain tap water as a flush agent, as that with no nutrient content can't decompose. Drain after the toilet is put away so the tank is "dry" and thus unable to go sour.
For the freshen up, simply use a house plant hand sprayer charged with quite concentrated "pink" fluid
Hi JTQ, Who would have thought that the fluids would cause such a pong? :sick: Thanks muchly for the tip.:)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Always use Elsan double blue. This week , no toilet block, had a pong . It seems to me we have used a lot more paper than normal. This soaks up the fluid more than usual. Answer. Empty daily😎

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Am I right in saying that the more the flush is used,the less chance of any nasty smells?.
The reason I ask is that a friend of ours only uses fresh water in his motorhome toilet flush,but sprays the bowl with a fine mist of the pink fluid.
We tried doing this on our recent trip and noticed that there was in fact,a noticeable smell occasionally. (We only ever do "number 1's").

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We tried doing this on our recent trip and noticed that there was in fact,a noticeable smell occasionally. (We only ever do "number 1's").

It is urine that is starting to breakdown that is typically where any real stinks from it come into play.
Therefore, unless you have some unfortunate urinary track infection, it should be quite "sweet" for a while.
It follows from this that the challenges lower tank chemicals face in smell control really only come when asked to store the stuff for some time.

Empty in the morning when the stronger "night soil" has only been there a short time, effectively removes asking the additive to do much, and avoids the consequences of it making a poor job of it.
Its' longer term "storage", where the bulk of the challenges for additives lie, simply avoid doing so where that is practical.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use ours for both functions. No pink a water comes straight from onboard tank. We use Dometic tablets in our cassette. If using vinegar, will it have any effect on any rubber seals?

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We tend to use whatever is cheap when we need to replace the supply and one or two have had odd smells so it could be the chemicals. It might also be that the one bought had been stored for some time and the smell comes from that and cleaning it out thoroughly will cure it.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
We use toilet as a toilet, use CL's all the time and never had any real problems with any smell.
I do use the pink flush stuff and Elson blue.
Maybe my sense of smell is not as good as others.
I charge the flush once with the pink stuff then top up with clear water if needs be.
In warm weather I double/triple charge with the blue fluid, never noticed any continuous smells.
Home the first thing is to clean the toilet, seat off, holding tank dismantled as best I can.
Cleans toilet compartment, making sure the entry point gets a good scrub plus rinsing the flush tank.

Looks brand new inside and out.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We use toilet as a toilet, use CL's all the time and never had any real problems with any smell.
I do use the pink flush stuff and Elson blue.
Maybe my sense of smell is not as good as others.
I charge the flush once with the pink stuff then top up with clear water if needs be.
In warm weather I double/triple charge with the blue fluid, never noticed any continuous smells.
Home the first thing is to clean the toilet, seat off, holding tank dismantled as best I can.
Cleans toilet compartment, making sure the entry point gets a good scrub plus rinsing the flush tank.

Looks brand new inside and out.

We do very similar.

John

Reactions: DaveA1
Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
We use ours for both functions. No pink a water comes straight from onboard tank. We use Dometic tablets in our cassette. If using vinegar, will it have any effect on any rubber seals?
Hi Buckman, Looking on you tube they say not to use bleach as it damages the seals but white vinegar is fine. :)

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Always use Elsan double blue. This week , no toilet block, had a pong . It seems to me we have used a lot more paper than normal. This soaks up the fluid more than usual. Answer. Empty daily😎
DD i hope you took a lot of Toilet paper with you seeing you have use a lot more :cool:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts